AK,AQ,AQ=rags

• Ectoz
      Ectoz
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've been playing for some time,two years in fact (not that it is a gargantuan quantum of time,but still!) and i figured out that poker is the same entity,if not a bigger part of it,as the universe.IT will try to play his devious and evil plans with you,mess with your mind and eventually killing you ( more or less in the case of poker :) ).It is a terrible,frustrating and annoying (sometimes irrational) game.But somehow,with all the bad beats and loss of money,we still love it and play the hell out of it,just to prove our worth.And it pays when we do.
      The point im trying to get to is close,so endulge me please.
      AKs or AKo is a strong hand indeed.But it misses or backfires alot,in spite of its pre-flop "strengthness" (call me dum or whatever,but thats just how it is).I AI-ed alot with it,i raised like a maniac with it and it backfired 90% of the time.I left tables broke with the hand,getting called with T6s and 42o and Axs and $@ offsuit and GazzillionTrillion suited.So i devised a plan.Stop doing that with AK.And i didnt.Every time i folded AK or AQ-AJ (hands with i went broke also) i saw that it was a good fold.I started AI with it very rarely,only when my gut felt right.AK looks nice,but its not.Maybe its like that with me.Whats your AJ-AK experience?Does it pay off to you?For me the hand won like 0.5 out of 10 plays. :)

Sorry for the rant,i hope you didnt fell asleep.

Respect,
      Ectoz
  • 4 replies
    • taavi1337
      taavi1337
      Bronze
      sample size?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      AKs 80%
      AKo 73.56%
      AQs 56.92%
      AQo 67.02%
      AJs 53.97%
      AJo 51.76%

So far, they seem fine for me... My sample size is also small (22.3k hands) but still...
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      It feels like it's an awful hand when it's not. You can win a hell of a lot of small pots with AJ-AK just by raising, then if you hit betting, if you don't conti-betting. You win a lot of small pots but the ones that stick in your mind are when you overrate the hands and lose your whole stack. Stop committing your whole stack to AK preflop and you will realise it's a good hand. It's all a fact of knowing it's a good hand, but realising if you miss the flop and your conti-bet gets called, you are beat, lay the damn thing down :)
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Hands like AK are indeed strong pre-flop. But don't forget that the value of your cards changes as the flop is dealt. A lot of players don't understand this concept well enough and lose a lot of money overplaying hands that they believe "should" be strong because they were ahead of their opponent's preflop range. Look at how you played the hands, post them for analysis and see what you did wrong. If you played them correctly, you've just been unlucky. Folding such hands out of fear of losing is like continuously folding AA because you got bad beats with it 10 times in a row.

Originally posted by Ectoz
      ... and i figured out that poker is the same entity,if not a bigger part of it,as the universe.
      The observable universe alone is about 92 billion light years across, so you might want to retract that statement.