$4.07
      SB:
      $1.95
      BB (Hero):
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $5.14

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 8.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, 5 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 8, A, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.32) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP1 raises to $0.70, Hero raises to $2.10, MP1 calls $1.40.

River: ($4.52) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.75, MP1 calls $2.75.

Final Pot: $10.02.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, eights and fives(5c 8d).
      MP1 shows two pairs, aces and fives(Ad 5s).

MP1 wins with two pairs, aces and fives(Ad 5s).

player is known to be very loose. i could see him on a flush draw or any 2 higher pairs. should i have just called the re-raise and went for a cheap showdown? or should i have given up there, but that play would be too weak?
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      player is known to be very loose. i could see him on a flush draw or any 2 higher pairs. should i have just called the re-raise and went for a cheap showdown? or should i have given up there, but that play would be too weak?
      Bet/call the turn & bluff catch the river. Never go broke with less then a set in a limped pot. Bottom two pair on A85 isn't like super strong. Especially not against someone that limps like any Ax hand.

PS: his turn action is a raise not a re-raise. You can't re-raise if there hasn't been a raise in front of you and your action is a bet, not a raise. So the turn action is: you bet, he RAISES, you re-raise (or 3bet). The first action on any post-flop street is a BET not a raise.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Bet/call the turn & bluff catch the river. Never go broke with less then a set in a limped pot. Bottom two pair on A85 isn't like super strong. Especially not against someone that limps like any Ax hand.

PS: his turn action is a raise not a re-raise. You can't re-raise if there hasn't been a raise in front of you and your action is a bet, not a raise. So the turn action is: you bet, he RAISES, you re-raise (or 3bet). The first action on any post-flop street is a BET not a raise.
      Try and get better reads on people, all in all being very loose only means villain is bad, it doesn't tell us how to exploit him, which is what we really want to know. If he's 75/43/3 we're going broke with a smile since he's just liable to go nuts with anything and our two pairs are way stronger than his average hand. If he's 90/0/0 we're usually smoked as soon as he raises the turn so I wouldn't even mind giving it up right there.

Building up from him having open limped preflop I'd say chances are he's leaning toward the passive 90/0/0 type more than the aggressive 75/43/3 type, so I'd take Mstlc's advice and just call the turn, we get good enough odds to account for us being wrong about his range sometimes.

As for the vocabulary for me it works the same on all streets, only difference with preflop being people were forced to make the first bet by posting blinds.

Hope it helps.