NL 0.01/0.02 slowplayers

• turnharry
      turnharry
      Bronze
      i'm playing on tables with very low blinds since i'm a beginner and not even silver yet.
      i realize that i lose a lot of hands against people who play their hands really slow
      like betting 1BB pre-flop with AA or betting 3 BB's with a straight on the turn.

in these cases i assume that i can win with top-pair or two-pair and bet/re-raise 10 BB's or so which they just call and then they have the better hand.

what's my best move against getting slowplayed? do i check myself once to see if they raise?
      should i raise higher to see if they still call or... just get over these guys and keep re-raising low bets if i believe i have the better hand?
  • 7 replies
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      make notes about them........

You will find that you will play these guys a lot and if you know that they slowplay monsters you can be aware of it and make a judgement call.

But don't fall into the trap of slowplaying your AA, by going 1BB you invite a lot of people to look at the flop and find that you lose to trips, flushes and straights that wouldn't have stayed in if you had been aggressive from the start.

Your best move against slowplay is having the best hand :f_biggrin:

Read the articles on this site, use the starting hand charts and be aggressive preflop and look at other people's position -

example
      Imagine you are Button with AQ. UTG opens with 1BB - I would presume Ax, low pair or suited but not connected - generally they are trying to limp into the hand so see if they can hit on the flop!

Against your aggression 4BB + 1BB (caller) most fold (not all). Someone slowplaying AA will call. But at least now you will have some info and you can be wary or aggressive depending how the flop affects your hand.
      Let's say that Q72 rainbow flops - top pair, top kicker - a good hand and you have position, you can see what your opponent does.

He checks, you bet 3/4 of the pot (8BB) - if he calls he is either a maniac or has AA, KK, 77, 22 and is ahead or possibly AQ, KQ, QJ, QT.

You now have a decision........

Without notes on the opposition I would be concerned that I could be being slowplayed - if he checks again, you could check or use a smallish raise. On the river if he checks again I would probably just check. Then make short notes on my opponent for the future, slowplayed AA or maniac!!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      What i've found is the best weapon against slowplayers is using the strategy of small pots for small hands (Top pair) and big pots for big hands (Sets, straights etc).

So when you're in position and they're checking their hand, don't feel inclined to bet on all 3 streets, check behind them and if they make a bet on the next street you can start to be wary. Their small bets are actually an advantage to you because you can just cold call and keep that pot small, unless you have a monster and then you have a chance to reraise.

I'm also playing NL2 so I understand where you're coming from because i've seen it a lot.
    • turnharry
      turnharry
      Bronze
      thanks a lot for your replies, i think i have a better idea what to do now!
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Gotta love playing against these sort of players, they're gonna be giving you odds all day long to outdraw them. Play a lot of speculative hands like suited connectors and dont overplay your TPTK type hands unless you have a solid read they bet their weaker hands aggressively (many do).
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Deposit enough to get you away from the soul crushing NL2. The play is very irrational and can't be understood.

I'll never play at NL2 again EVER. But that's just me.
    • turnharry
      turnharry
      Bronze
      yeah i had the same thought that it may be better to just skip NL 2
      but on the other hand it might be good to learn to play hands that prevail this irregularity and
      win my way up to NL4
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Oh yeah, people at nl4 are very rational