[NL2-NL10] NL2 - JTo blind steal value

• Joakim
      Joakim
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

My question to you is: Does this hand have a good steal value at CO and up to what levels can I still try to steal with this hand? Is there at some point unwise to steal with it, where you might should become tighter with the hands you steal with?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Spela upp hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $2.00
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $1.82
      MP1:
      $3.46
      MP2:
      $3.87
      MP3:
      $5.58
      CO (Hero):
      $2.06
      BU:
      $5.10

Preflop: Hero is CO with J, T.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.03.

Cheers, Joakim
  • 5 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      JTo is more then good enough to steal with. I don't mind folding the CO with JTo if the BU player is total station (like 70/2 or w/e). But against a tighter player it's definitely an easy raise. Also if the BU calls pretty much any two cards pre-flop but then folds to 80% of your c-bets on the flop it's an easy raise to of course.

Our hand isn't like super strong but we wanna play as much pots against fish as we can and JTo is definitely good enough to do this with, especially if the BU folds a lot cause we can then play a lot of hands in position against the blinds.
    • Joakim
      Joakim
      Bronze
      Hi!

Great, thank you!

But when playing against stronger opponents, like NL10, or even NL25, are there upcoming risks like they start re-raising me in this situations (and what will I do if they do) when figuring out I'm a blind stealer? Do I change strategy and if so, how?

Thanks, Joakim
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joakim
      Hi!

Great, thank you!

But when playing against stronger opponents, like NL10, or even NL25, are there upcoming risks like they start re-raising me in this situations (and what will I do if they do) when figuring out I'm a blind stealer? Do I change strategy and if so, how?

Thanks, Joakim
      Meh, not many people start making light 3bets against loose stealers on those limits even on SH... on FR people don't even really play back at you until you reach NL100 and if they do play back they often just call and you can yet again play your hand in position vs the blinds.

If you do feel people start making 3bets when you open raise a lot then you can do two things... throw some 4bet bluffs in there (in my personal opinion I don't recommend it, especially not when you're out of position), or you just tighten up. In most cases it's better to just tighten up a bit. Whatever you do, don't start seeing ghosts. I know from expierence it's very easy to think people are 3betting you way too much when in fact it's more then possible that they 3bet you with an actual hand 3 times in a row or something. So don't start doing crazy stuff like 4bet bluffing on microstakes and just tighten up, way for good hands and then 4bet if they're still 3betting a lot.

So yeah in short: if you get 3bet, JTo is too weak to continue so you fold if you encounter resistance. I just don't think you're gonna have too much trouble with this at the stakes you mentioned.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I would usually open with JT unless players are 3-bet happy on the BU or blinds
      it is fine hand to open, take initiative and take down pot pf or postflop
    • Joakim
      Joakim
      Bronze
      Hi again!

Thank you, it makes much sense. I learned a lot from this evaluation!

Cheers, Joakim