[NL2-NL10] NL10 AQo

• sykora808
      0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.84 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

MP1: $3.95
      Hero: $9.90

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , Q:spade:
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.10) A:club: , 8:spade: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.7, MP1 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.50) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, MP1 raises to $2.00, Hero ?

I made a small bet on the turn as a block bet.
      Would it have been better to check fold this hand?

Any evaluation would be appreciated.
      Thanks in advance.
  • 2 replies
    • TedKell
      Well, he wasn't quite getting the odds or even the implied odds to call for a flush draw (looking at his short stack). My guess is he has like.. AsXo. I dunno, with that kind of stack, I feel he'd have re-raised you on the flop. If it was me, I'd cross my fingers and hope for the best.. Although, this is gonna be very player dependant. Alot of fish love to min. raise their strong hands at these stakes.

I'm curious, but what did our villian have?
    • MaestroOfZerg

Bet around $1 on the flop and shove most turns against the 40bb guy.

That particular turn card completes both 76 and spade draws, which of course he can have, bad players don't care about pot odds or implied odds. They care that they can make a good hand by hitting their draws, so they call. He can likely have also a whole bunch of worse Ax hands that he's probably not going to be able to fold.

If you're not going to bet/fold or check/fold, just shove to maximize value against worse hands while accepting the fact that you'll get it in bad sometimes. You likely have some outs with the Q-high flush redraw as well even when behind. I think it tips the play in favor of just jamming it in for value unless you think villain will be able to fold Ax or mostly has draws to begin with for some reason.

Hope it helps.