[NL2-NL10] NL2 Pot Control with TPTK (or lack thereof)

• fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB:
      $2.92
      BB:
      $0.78
      UTG1:
      $0.69
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $2.56
      MP1:
      $0.65
      MP2:
      $3.45
      MP3:
      $2.73
      CO:
      $1.74
      BU:
      $2.01

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with A, K.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0.19) A, J, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, MP3 raises to $0.36, Hero calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.91) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, MP3 calls $0.60.

River: ($2.11) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.52(All-In), MP3 calls $1.52.

Final Pot: $5.15.

I probably played this hand far too fast with just a top pair top kicker, but what would've been a better line? I'm happy with the cbet, and the call of the reraise (which could conceivably be a tricky bluff or semi bluff), but on the turn should i just check-call for pot control? The same amount of chips would've been committed either way, because he didn't reraise. Facing a reraise would you fold there or still call? On the end the push looks spewy but i was afraid of being pushed into, as both our stack sizes are perfect for it. If i checked would i be obliged to call on the end? $1.52 for a pot of $3.63 = 2.4:1 odds.
  • 3 replies
    • TedKell
      TedKell
      Basic
      Tbh, playing .01/.02, you should be looking to get your stack in with a hand as strong as top pair, top kicker. I mean, the flush draws missed, and your being payed off by soooo many hands weaker than yours. Any Ax, POSSIBLY Jx and MAYBE even 22+.

Playing these stakes, it's alot more profitable to get your stacks in than to "play it safe". Don't try anything too tricky, just play the cards and let the fish donk off their dosh ;)

But, on another note, I'd have check raised the turn if you were sure your villian was firing again. If not, I'd have jammed over his re-raise on the flop.

I'm also curious, what did our villian have?
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      To be fair, at full tilt there are a fair few nits who'd play a similar line with trips as to what our villain played. But the villain was a bit of a fish, maybe getting it in is the right plan. A jam over his reraise on the flop doesn't seem like the best way of achieving this, care to explain why this is playable?

I'll let you know what villain had once it's been evaluated by one of the professionals. I don't want their judgement clouded :f_p:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm a bit skeptical about him being a fish, he's got a healthy stack and he did 3x raise your flop bet, not min-raise or pot-raise or anything random that fish like to do. To me it means he's likely to know what he's doing at least somewhat.

Building from that I think he knows on some levels this isn't really the type of board he should be screwing around with pure bluff raises, the A is very likely to hit you and his fold equity is virtually nonexistent against that decent part of your range. Even players who can't quite say it that way understand that the A is "scary" when you don't have it beat.

So I'd put our likely average tag villain on something with equity, AJ/66, sometimes JJ since he doesn't have to 3-bet it preflop, and then diamonds, possibly with a gutshot as well so that it looks strong enough to warrant raising a c-bet on an A-high board. Against that range I think calling is the best play, we're flipping with big draws and dead against the rest, so we're not looking to get it in. Depending on how tight he is he might not even raise draws on the flop so there are players against whom I wouldn't mind simply folding to a bet on the turn, or even pitching it on the flop.

On the turn if we were good on the flop we're still good now, the 6 makes it less likely villain has 66. I actually think betting again is fine to get value from those draws, as we don't really know what he'll do with those if we check to him and check/shoving the turn if he never bets again with draws would be a big blunder on our part. I'm quite confident he won't shove on us with hands that AK beats.

On the river I would check/call. The hands we beat in his range are busted draws now, which he can't call a shove with. So by shoving ourselves we're only getting called by the stuff he slowplayed that beats us, meaning it's a totally losing play on our part unless somehow he raised the flop and called down with a worse top pair, which I don't think happen often at all.

If I had to pick a hand for him calling down on the river I'd say JJ, played it fast on the flop and made the nuts on the turn so it slowplayed to let you catch whatever.

Hope it helps.