[NL2-NL10] NL2 Middle Pair OOP vs float

• fryandspicy
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.04, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.14, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.3) 8, Q, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.18, UTG2 calls $0.18.

Turn: ($0.66) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 bets $0.44

Final Pot: $0.66.

I'm thinking i should bet on the turn as well (and then fold to any resistance). Would that be a better line than the one taken? As played what should i do after his raise on the turn?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Short answer? Without reads, no idea. The point being you have absolutely no idea of how tight he is and how aggressive he can be, so you're bound to have to make dicey decisions until you gather some reads. I'm not into the habit of building huge pots out of position until then with less than premium hands, you just get into too many spots where you're guessing out of position for big money.

Likely I wouldn't even 3-bet KQs in those positions until I've seen him do that minraise crap at least twice, and to avoid getting into that particular turn spot I'll likely check/call the flop a good amount as well. I'm fine check/calling once and if I have to check/fold the turn it won't be much different from c-betting a board where a lot of hands can call and then check/folding the turn.

I'd advise against betting the turn again 2nd pair unless you're ready to make a big call on the river. There are a lot of random flushdraws/straightdraws out there and when everything misses you'll be faced with a bet from villain is he's capable of bluffing. Since most players will check/back top pair at that point you're effectively bluff-catching against a polarized range, but you have no idea how weighted toward bluffs this range will be and I bet it'd feel uncomfortable to call off your chips with 2PGK.

In a nutshell, don't set yourself up for losing big pots out of position against unknowns, and if you do, be ready to make costly/dicey decision with no information.

Hope it helps.