$10.00
      SB:
      $12.18
      BB (Hero):
      $14.83
      CO:
      $3.90

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4, 4.
      2 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.6) T, K, K (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($1.4) J (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.83, SB calls $0.63.

Final Pot: $3.06.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and fours(4 4).
      SB shows two pairs, kings and sixs(6 6).

SB wins with two pairs, kings and sixs(6 6).

I did infact put him on an underpair, because he never bets without a made hand and ... well his betting pattern has been rather obvious in all the hands played with him ... Weak bets = weak made hand by him

So I put him on an underpair and thought I could push him off it ...
      Now, if I had a Kx here, I would not raise him on the flop in order to keep him in the pot and not scare him off.

Maybe should've raised the turn to start building a pot for my imaginary "good hand" :f_biggrin:

now on the river everything completes, more combos of boats plus straights and flushes ... perfect spot for a raise finally to push him off the hand, but instead I get SNAPCALLED :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Was my river raise too small? Or was I thinking "too deep" vs such an obvious bad player, who in all possibility himself is not thinking too much :f_p:
  • 2 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Ingenious plan on your behalf, but i guess one of the (very few) strengths of min raises is that a standard sized reraise still gives nice odds to call if you have any kind of hand. Your raise of 4x his raise still gave him good odds to call on the end there, only because his raises were so small.

So i guess the lesson is against teeny bets it's best to reraise based on the pot size instead. If you bet pot here, or even overbet the pot, standard fish bluff style, it might work better at pushing him off. I would certainly have folded.

The call on the turn seems like a good way of keeping the bluff cheap, by the way. Although maybe a genius worked out the call on the turn meant you weren't worried about flush draws getting there so probably didn't have a king.

Edit: Just occurred to me a call on the turn would betray no king because you'd want to build the pot against such weak raises as well. So maybe against an intelligent player he can say the likelihood of you having a king is low, and the likelihood of you raising with a second best hand like Tx is low, so you must be bluffing. But intelligent players don't min raise so you can disregard all of this.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

So he has a made hand when he bets the flop, you beat 22/33 exactly and you're 2-outing against everything else, even if somehow he has no pairs chances are he's got two overcards plus counterfeit outs, your hand is pure trash. Just fold. Bluffing at fish is generally a bad idea unless you're going to fire multiple barrels in good spots, and you don't really need/want to go down that road with a hand that has virtually zero equity on that board. Just dump it.

If you really want to try and bluff the fish prefer choosing a hand like AJ or even A8, they have some possible top pair outs or gutshot outs, something that will bail you out a small percentage of the time at least, instead of going in with close to zero chance of improving. With those hands I'd raise the flop, it's scary enough for small pocket pairs as it is and like I said, we'd rather bluff when we can still improve on later streets than do it on the river when we can't improve anymore.

Hope it helps.