Worth playing microstakes ring games?

• ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Hey guys, I am curious if you guys think it is worth playing ring games at the micro stakes? I'm currently playing them, hit a very large downswing of 10 buy ins on NL10, but obv sample is small [[5k] and I am confident I have been playing well just getting ul for now. I hear some people say it's not worth playing any ring gamesuntill it is NL100, but I am curious to hear why because I don't know, is it something to do with rake?

My roll is currently 100 dollars now from the 250 I started damn this bad luck.....I don't really fancy playing NL4 because it's just standard ABC poker and most people actually play the same... Any ideas what to play? My best game would be SNG's i've reached up to medium stakes on them, however I am starting fresh, kind of a personal challenge.
  • 53 replies
    • Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      Ye everyone is solid at 5nl and below. There's just no money to be made there.
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      a downswing of 10BI is normal, I got 25 BI downswing (I'm at winrate 2.5BB/100 after 100k hands)
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      I more than doubled my $600 roll playing at NL10/NL25 in just over a week.

I'd say its more than worth it.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      With $100 you should really drop to nl5. If you play abc poker and value bet lots you'll have a good win rate.
    • alister15
      alister15
      Bronze
      Ive been playing NL5 full ring games. I'm up 60$ in about 5k Hands. Just got to find a table with fish and play the waiting game:)
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      You should really think about moving down. You should also work on your game. Although it's possible, I doubt you dropped 10 bis in 5k hands without making some serious mistakes.

The key words to beat nl5/10 is:
      play tight
      NEVER bluff
      value bet value bet value bet value bet.

There is nothing wrong with b/f-ing tptk/over pair flop turn and river as most players on these stakes are loose-passive. If you get raised at any point with a semi-stong/medicore hand you there should really ring a bell telling you to get the hell out of the way.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PetterG2
      You should really think about moving down. You should also work on your game. Although it's possible, I doubt you dropped 10 bis in 5k hands without making some serious mistakes.

The key words to beat nl5/10 is:
      play tight
      NEVER bluff
      value bet value bet value bet value bet.

There is nothing wrong with b/f-ing tptk/over pair flop turn and river as most players on these stakes are loose-passive. If you get raised at any point with a semi-stong/medicore hand you there should really ring a bell telling you to get the hell out of the way.
      + 1
      true for the most opponents yes
      If you want to bluff, choose the correct opponents bcause you can (semi-)bluff. Enough nits/rocks on micro's
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Playing micros is like printing money... MICRO MONEY
    • qwery1
      qwery1
      Bronze
      What possibility do you have?

1. Keep Bankroll management and move down
      2. Keep playing current stake with high possibility of bust all the money
      3. Make biggest tilt mistake and move up to cover looses with possibility probably 95%+ to loose all money fast

4. Deposit some money to cover your looses when you are confident you beat current stake and continue play them
      5. Play your A game - sng for rebuild bankroll for some time

6. .... any other idea?

+ and whatever you choose work on your game.

keep finger cross :-)
    • JackxxRatt
      JackxxRatt
      Bronze
      Ask the people who currently have your $ if they think it's "worth it". There's money to be won at NL10 but you aren't going to make a living out of it.

Whatever you achieved in SNG's carries no weight when it comes to cash games, they're 2 different formats so you need to be brutally honest with yourself as to which level you think you ought to be playing. If you dont have much experience at cash games then NL10 is a good enough place to start (although as others have already said, you're not currently bankrolled for it).
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      I'm pretty confident it is just a downswing, I mean i've been losing in positions where I have had kk v aa, top 2 pair v sets, bottom set v top set ect..I am confident I have no problem beating the game...My only fear now moving down to NL5 is that it will take too long to jump up to NL10 again! it's not due to my game that i've been losing I mean when I had a hard dicision I am sure i've made the right move..It just game down to bad luck, of course I made a few mistakes such as trying to bluff, but that only accounts for 5% of my losses. 5k hands is too small of a sample..Phil ivey could be losing on NL10 after only 5k hands...
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      I laughed at this...first time I played NL 0.25 a few monthes ago, I had 500 dollars and turned it into 1300 in like 3 hours..I was running hot as hell, I can't find 600 dollars in a week impressive, sorry :(
    • Genkidesuka
      Genkidesuka
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ZeMammuth
      I laughed at this...first time I played NL 0.25 a few monthes ago, I had 500 dollars and turned it into 1300 in like 3 hours..I was running hot as hell, I can't find 600 dollars in a week impressive, sorry :(
      Wasn't even a brag, but even if it was, it was like 2k hands at NL25 and 20k at NL10.

I'd say like 40 buyins, 4-5 hours a day for 5 days is pretty good.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      In general, any money made = good :)
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      microstakes=profitable=good to play
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I make a very nice amount of $s playing 4 tables NL4 FR and sometimes OH4. It's not hard, really. Swallow the pride, turn off the ego button and drop down, your game may be good enough but with $100 you can easily go broke NL10.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      [X] His huge ego will make him bust his bankroll.
    • ZeMammuth
      ZeMammuth
      Bronze
      Nah, I thank you guys for giving your opinion and I respect what all you guys are saying, I am going to move down to NL5 like you guys said untill I reach 250 dollars, and then NL10.

Thanks for your opinions guys :)
    • Pedrocampos110
      Pedrocampos110
      Bronze
      multitabling 24 tables on NL5 6max.. 18 days of game.. =)

my graph.. take your own conclusions, winrate of 12bb/100

i still play nl5 24 tabling i can do about 1500 hands/hour.. recently opened a blog on blog session take a look if you want to..