Midlife Crisis? What Midlife Crisis?

• Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      nice blog there ,its prolly more interesting from other blogs that write only for poker stuff but since its actually a poker blog i ll give u some advice for sng poker (since i ve played some of them for a while)that maybe help u improve your game .

First get skype and find similar or better players than you and help each other,it will really help u improve faster .
      Second , just dont play when u know u wont find a peace in your mind , you will suffer both u and your kids/wife since if u loose cause of them or even badbeats you will def tilt at some point either at the tables or in real life and that will make things worse(i was doing that a lot when my gf was around and it wasnt the right thing to do). One suggestion if u still want to do something poker related and u dont have a peaceful time for yourself, is to play less tables or having a hand review session with one of your skype buddies(when u get them ).

Oh and cause i read somewhere in your blog that u want to play nl10-25 so u have get a better postlfop play early game i suggest u to stick to abc tight game early on and dont do any fancy plays in early game cause u will be surprised how bad the people are and how donkie moves they do even in low stakes not only micro and doubling up with a flip early game will damage only the players that takes the flip and benefit the rest players on the table(if u ve read moshman's sng book then u will know that :D )

ps sorry for the long post

ps2 sorry for the bad english i am not a native english speaker :D

ps3 keep going and gl at your tables
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schris7

First get skype and find similar or better players than you and help each other,it will really help u improve faster .
      Second , just dont play when u know u wont find a peace in your mind , you will suffer both u and your kids/wife since if u loose cause of them or even badbeats you will def tilt at some point either at the tables or in real life and that will make things worse(i was doing that a lot when my gf was around and it wasnt the right thing to do). One suggestion if u still want to do something poker related and u dont have a peaceful time for yourself, is to play less tables or having a hand review session with one of your skype buddies(when u get them ).
      The hand review session by skype idea sounds interesting. Anyone want to do this with me? How do you make these things work exactly? What software do you need to do a joint hand review? I've read about 'sweat sessions' in other posts, but this always makes me think of fat blokes in a sauna. Am I on the wrong track there? And yes, I know I should find a peaceful time away from the wife and kids to play poker. But you know what? In my life such a time doesn't exist (or only very, very rarely). That's the point. Unless I follow hacacare's suggestion and play at 4am. Hmmmmm!

Oh and cause i read somewhere in your blog that u want to play nl10-25 so u have get a better postlfop play early game i suggest u to stick to abc tight game early on and dont do any fancy plays in early game cause u will be surprised how bad the people are and how donkie moves they do even in low stakes not only micro and doubling up with a flip early game will damage only the players that takes the flip and benefit the rest players on the table(if u ve read moshman's sng book then u will know that :D )

ps sorry for the long post

ps2 sorry for the bad english i am not a native english speaker :D

ps3 keep going and gl at your tables
      Sound advice I think. And don't worry about your English. I studied German and Russian at school, and now barely speak a word of them. I probably have more French having worked for a French company a few years ago (I wasn't always an academic. I have had a real job!). Whenever I go abroad, people always want to practice their English on me, so I just get lazy.

Minus sign update: Found what I had was correct, so search over! Just means I have to do another nasty calculation to finish things off.

By the way, can anyone tell me how I make my signature into a link to this blog? Every time I try to do this in the editor, I just end up with a big splat of html.
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      i can help u with your baby steps at skype and sweating sessions for the start .
      my skype is schris7 if u need further help with skype pm here
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Well, have just done lunch and review of last night's session. I didn't find too much to beat myself up about, apart from one dopey misclick. I ran into monsters about 6 times. However, I did note that one suit in particular, that suit being hearts, did seem to have some sort of grudge against me. Evidence below.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (4 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t4093)
      Hero (BB) (t2052)
      UTG (t2011)
      Button (t6844)

Hero's M: 5.13

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 3
      1 fold, Button calls t200, SB calls t100, Hero checks

Flop: (t700) 9, Q, 5 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets t1827 (All-In), 1 fold, SB calls t1827

Turn: (t4354) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t4354) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t4354

Results:
      SB had 7, 7 (full house, sevens over fives).
      Hero had 6, 3 (flush, Queen high).
      Outcome: SB won t4354

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 (t1445)
      MP2 (t1453)
      CO (t2164)
      Button (t3002)
      Hero (SB) (t2140)
      BB (t1470)
      UTG (t1485)
      UTG+1 (t1841)

Hero's M: 28.53

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 6
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls t50, 2 folds, CO calls t50, 1 fold, Hero calls t25, BB checks

Flop: (t200) 4, 2, K (4 players)
      Hero bets t175, 1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t350, 1 fold, Hero raises to t2090 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t1441 (All-In)

Turn: (t3782) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t3782) 7 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3782

Results:
      Hero had 9, 6 (flush, King high).
      UTG+1 had Q, J (flush, King high).
      Outcome: UTG+1 won t3782

I also found evidence that watching a video about 3betting in MTTs just before playing STTs may not be a good idea. A bit like watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre before taking my three year old to a birthday party, or listening to Slipknot before going to hear a string quartet.

Grrrrrrr! I am Dirty Harry! I am Charles Bronson! I am the Terminator! I am a complete donk!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (10 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP3 (t1690)
      CO (t1435)
      Hero (Button) (t1555)
      SB (t1420)
      BB (t1460)
      UTG (t980)
      UTG+1 (t2095)
      UTG+2 (t1485)
      MP1 (t1380)
      MP2 (t1500)

Hero's M: 20.73

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9, 9
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls t50, 2 folds, MP2 bets t200, 2 folds, Hero raises to t1555 (All-In), 3 folds, MP2 calls t1300 (All-In)

Flop: (t3125) 7, 9, A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t3125) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t3125) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3125

Results:
      Hero had 9, 9 (full house, nines over Kings).
      MP2 had A, A (full house, Aces over Kings).
      Outcome: MP2 won t3125

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.4 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t1375)
      Button (t2830)
      Hero (SB) (t1485)
      BB (t1500)
      UTG (t1395)
      UTG+1 (t2800)
      MP1 (t1200)
      MP2 (t1495)
      MP3 (t920)

Hero's M: 33.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, Q
      2 folds, MP1 bets t120, 4 folds, Hero raises to t1485 (All-In), 1 fold, MP1 calls t1080 (All-In)

Flop: (t2430) J, 2, 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t2430) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2430) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2430

Results:
      Hero had A, Q (one pair, tens).
      MP1 had A, K (one pair, tens).
      Outcome: MP1 won t2430
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      hmm, for sweat sessions you can use skype/msn/vent for chat and TeamViewer5 for sharing screen.

among other things, teamviewer allows you to see other people's screen or move their mouse around and vice versa.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dendra
      hmm, for sweat sessions you can use skype/msn/vent for chat and TeamViewer5 for sharing screen.

among other things, teamviewer allows you to see other people's screen or move their mouse around and vice versa.
      Not sure I like the idea of moving someone else's mouse around or having them move my mouse around. Sounds creepy. :f_eek:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      It's University Open Day today, and the campus is crawling with fresh faced prospective students and their overly protective, anxious parents like ticks on a deer (Sounds familiar. One of my colleagues used to call me Dr Alzheimer because of my notoriously bad memory. Actually, this is one of the attractions of poker for me, as I don't think you need the same sort of memory as you do to be a good chess or bridge player. Anyway, I digress...). There's even an ice cream van parked outside my window. The effort we make to lure in students is really quite extraordinary. They should be pleased to be allowed to come to a good University such as ours. Hmmff!

Mrs jb seems a bit upset about Hazel's passage to hen heaven, so I may need to provide her with alcohol and attention tonight. Poker will have to wait.

And still nobody has told me how to make my signature into a link. Come on chaps!
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      scepticism is acceptable :P basically you can set it all up, so you decide if you want to give someone access to your mouse or not and vice versa. it can be useful when you need some assistance and it will be a lot faster if the guy who knows what he's doing does the mouse moving :P

the program is also safe, like only thing other guy will see is your pc configuration and that's about it, so nothing spooky to be worried about :) there are other programs such as teamviewer, I think mikogo and whatever their names are, but I personally only trust teamviewer, other seem fishy to me :P

if you aren't scared to use your credit card to withdraw/deposit money on poker sites, then you definitely shouldn't be afraid of using teamviewer, it's a safe program and if by some chance it does f** you up, I'll buy you an ice cream to make it up to you, sounds good?
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

if you aren't scared to use your credit card to withdraw/deposit money on poker sites, then you definitely shouldn't be afraid of using teamviewer, it's a safe program and if by some chance it does f** you up, I'll buy you an ice cream to make it up to you, sounds good?
      I installed it, and my machine has yet to be invaded by zombie hacker virus things, so so far, so good. And I only use Neteller on poker sites! :f_thumbsup:

It's hot here, so ice cream would be good. How about you let me control your computer using Teamviewer, I deposit $2 from your credit card into my bank account and then go out to the ice cream van and buy one? :f_cool:
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      sorry but I think you said you're a maths professor - aka my top3 nemesis :) physics and chemistry being the other two, and potentially history but that depends on what kind of a professor you have - if he's into years and numbers a lot, then yeah, I definitely dislike it because learning years, more precisely dates, from history is probably the dumbest and least important thing you can actually learn from history.

btw I'm glad you're not having any problems (yet) with ze teamviewer. Hope you have a lot of fun with it while it lasts (CTR scientists are certain that teamviewer will be affected by a new breed of virus X-jan in 2011; I know I'm removing my teamviewer in December this year, if you're willing to take the risks, and you seem to be, you can decide to keep using it)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

btw I'm glad you're not having any problems (yet) with ze teamviewer. Hope you have a lot of fun with it while it lasts (CTR scientists are certain that teamviewer will be affected by a new breed of virus X-jan in 2011; I know I'm removing my teamviewer in December this year, if you're willing to take the risks, and you seem to be, you can decide to keep using it)
      Just used it with my new friend SChris7 who took control of my machine to show me how to fix my signature, tried all the things I'd tried and concluded that neither of us could work out what's wrong! :f_eek:

Have contacted PS support to try to get it fixed.

And no problems with Teamviewer.........yet! :evil:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      I just worked out that, with my current rapid progress, I should be a Black Member by 2065! There's something to look forward to. :f_cool:
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer

And still nobody has told me how to make my signature into a link. Come on chaps!

Have you clicked the options box and made sure BBCode is not deactivated?

Nice blog btw, keep it going :D
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      I think your signature still has some leaks in it :P
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz

Have you clicked the options box and made sure BBCode is not deactivated?
      Don't even know what that means. I think I have active BBCode. I'll let those clever PS people sort it out. It's sooooo unfair that all the other boys and girls get to have a nice signature and mine is all buggered up! :f_cry:
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Hi there, nice blog. Am gonna be following to see how you get on finding the time to play. I have no time to play at all, but I think dealing with my 10 week old twin daughters is an acceptable reason. Discovered in the first week of having them home that trying to play poker with their almost continual need for attention is seriously -EV.

Regards your signature, you need to go to edit signature click on options and uncheck Deactivate BBcode in this signature. Should work.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Renmerb
      Hi there, nice blog. Am gonna be following to see how you get on finding the time to play. I have no time to play at all, but I think dealing with my 10 week old twin daughters is an acceptable reason. Discovered in the first week of having them home that trying to play poker with their almost continual need for attention is seriously -EV.
      Well at least you've gotten two out of the way at once. You have my sympathy though. I know what one at a time is like.

Regards your signature, you need to go to edit signature click on options and uncheck Deactivate BBcode in this signature. Should work.
      Why does everyone know something about BBcodes except me? Was I off sick when this was covered? What does BB stand for anyway? There's nothing to click in edit signature that toggles BBcodes as far as I can see. ?(
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Options button on the bottom. Good luck with your progress! Will be following.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Why does everyone know something about BBcodes except me? Was I off sick when this was covered? What does BB stand for anyway? There's nothing to click in edit signature that toggles BBcodes as far as I can see. ?(
      In the signature editor, below the text box there is an options button. Click on options and a small box will pop-up (you may have to scroll down, may be just off screen). In the box you can uncheck Disable BBcode in this signature.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Woo hoo! I have a signature. Thanks all! :f_biggrin: