Midlife Crisis? What Midlife Crisis?

• AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      Hey, nice blog, will keep an eye on it. We are both in the same boat, as I am also a college professor (although part-time), married, a 7 yr old kid and about to turn 40. I also have a daytime job as an architect so I know how difficult is to find time to play with my kid, spend quality time with my wife, read articles, post hands, watch training videos, multi-table sng's, plus anything else that I have to do around the house.

I mostly play micro/low-stakes sngs at FT and PS as well. When I get home I will check my database to see if we have played together some time. Good to see that I'm not alone juggling work, family and learning the game.

*edit:
      Ughh... after writing detailed steps on how to fix your signature I figured I was too late... anyway, good that you solved it.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Welcome and I had a very nice read so I guess ( and am pretty sure ) you put a lot of effort in your new found hobby :) !

I think your Math skills will help you a lot in your progress as there is at some point a certain treshold a lot of playres won't continue because of the math.

I will be an active follower of your blog but also a learner since I can read some things I am going to face when I get older
      Good luck & have fun!

A teenager :rolleyes:
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Woo hoo! I have a signature. Thanks all! :f_biggrin:

Old people and computers... :D
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Woo hoo! I have a signature. Thanks all! :f_biggrin:

Old people and computers... :D
      Lost for words. My father, who is 75 recently got his first computer, so don't get me started! Anyway, what is BBcode smartypants??? :f_mad:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AquamanBT

I mostly play micro/low-stakes sngs at FT and PS as well. When I get home I will check my database to see if we have played together some time. Good to see that I'm not alone juggling work, family and learning the game.
      I had a look, but I don't think we've met. I thought the chaps my age would come out of the woodwork if I did this. Nice to meet you!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv

I will be an active follower of your blog but also a learner since I can read some things I am going to face when I get older
      Good luck & have fun!
      You don't have to read this to know what you're going to face when you get older. Try 'Any Human Heart' by William Boyd (my favourite author). That should help you out.

A teenager :rolleyes:
      Teenager and coach! This is such a young game. Are any of you coaches over 40? This isn't making me feel any better.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      OK, so it's Saturday. Mrs jb has gone out to work on the house that we are (and when I say 'we are' I mean 'she is') renovating. I have the kids until she gets back. My deal with them is that they let me do what I want in the morning and I take them to the Scarecrow Festival (Don't ask. I'm in rural England. There will probably be Morris Dancers! Ach!) and the park in the afternoon.

This has allowed me to watch Jonathan Little's blind stealing in MTTs video (He raises, they fold. Easy money! I'd like to see him play like that in the $4.40 180 man SnGs on Pokerstars. Last one I played, there was a medium stacked guy in the BB who I tried this on three times in a row with garbage, and got shoved on each time. You'd think, he'd think I'd learnt my lesson by the third time, but no! Either he was an idiot, or a much better player than me.), and James Keys's video on Exploitable vs Unexploitable play (this was very mathematical and very good, although he did sound about 15 years old and horribly like one of my students), which made me realize I probably should have been calling Mr BBshove in those Stars 180 mans!

Managed to watch these videos with minimal but nonzero interruption rate from the kids. I hope you feel my pain this afternoon. It will be worth it, because I will be able to play some poker tonight!

Watched 'In the Loop' on DVD with Mrs jb last night. This was very funny and showed that, like farting, swearing foully and at great length can be extremely funny. Recommended.
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      Teenager and coach! This is such a young game. Are any of you coaches over 40? This isn't making me feel any better.

over 40?! :f_biggrin:
      im 25, finished uni and took early retirement directly afterwards :f_grin: . i think im the oldest one here :s_biggrin:

why doesnt it actually make u feel better being with us young kids? dont u feel like being mid 20 now? :f_p:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TwiceT

over 40?! :f_biggrin:
      im 25, finished uni and took early retirement directly afterwards :f_grin: . i think im the oldest one here :s_biggrin:

why doesnt it actually make u feel better being with us young kids? dont u feel like being mid 20 now? :f_p:
      Believe me, I don't feel any different inside my head from when I was your age. You just tend to accumulate loads of stuff over the years. Experience I suppose. Actually, you're right. I wouldn't be doing this blog if I didn't like interacting with you lot. If you're a 25 year old expert, and I'm a beginner, that must make me a teenager in poker terms, so I'm just going to enjoy it. :f_love:

Some of us don't expect to retire until we're 60 though! :f_mad:

While you're grinding this afternoon, you can think of me pushing my three year old on a swing (higher! higher!). Actually I think I wouldn't want to swap places with you. Enjoy it while you can. :)
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      OMG... reality check...

Most my students are 25, as I teach in a post-graduate department....
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      we are all students of life :f_love:
    • vonki
      vonki
      Bronze
      Very interesting blog that allows us to see life from a different view I think... There is so much from all worlds to learn from.

I can somehow understand your situation (even though I'm just 23 I have quite some experience already, having 4 siblings). I've matured pretty fast having lived abroad on my own as a "au-pair" which is pretty much a live in-nanny etc.

I also have a 15 y old brother, and a 4 year old sister. A day at mothers place is like a day at the zoo really and I always feel so relieved when I return to my own place at night where it's quiet and peaceful. Mostly I just fall asleep on the couch exhausted.

I respect you alot for the effort you are able to put in despite the lack of peacefullness.

Oh and I fit into the cathegory 3 or something, I don't mind being corrected as I find it being the best way to improve. How can we find and fix our leaks if we don't know which they are? ?( So by all means, correct me whenever I make a mistake (small or big).

Needless to say I will be following the blog with interest.

Keep up the good work!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AquamanBT
      OMG... reality check...

Most my students are 25, as I teach in a post-graduate department....
      Three of my current PhD students are past 30.

I've decided I'm over the age thing now. As a poker beginner, I count as a youngster and TwiceT is the old fart. :f_cool:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dendra
      we are all students of life :f_love:
      I'm not. :f_rolleyes:
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      nice blog :D to put things into perspective, at least you didnt have to be pregnant for 9 months (continuously vomiting/spitting up) then go into labor for 12 hours, only to finally need a cesarian section with painful recovery taking several weeks. srsly cramped my poker style.

as for me, im glad thats over... im having sooo much fun with my 2month old. its the best thing ever! i dread the time when she ceases to be a baby. hmm... less poker time i suppose, but im so much happier. altho i think more accurately, im less motivated to play preferring to expend my energies elsewhere. for sure i havent slept properly since she was born since i breastfeed exclusively (every 3 hrs or so).

easy guess that 15yr old gives most trouble. 8 is prolly least since its the most latent stage (in development) of the three. (i used to be a pediatrician in a former life). :D i have no idea what a bbc code is (and never will)

congrats for being over the age thing. :D in addition, i must work to be over the gender thing as well. (altho i will never say how old i am...)

maybe when i get better with MTTs we can do some sessions together. it doesnt matter what time. im never asleep for long.
    • wuttehhell
      wuttehhell
      Bronze
      How about I help you with poker and you help me with my math homework? :D
      I'm just kidding but I wouldn't mind that really :P

This is a very good read, one of the best blogs on this site for sure.

Good luck at the tables teach :P
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by purplefizz
      nice blog :D to put things into perspective, at least you didnt have to be pregnant for 9 months (continuously vomiting/spitting up) then go into labor for 12 hours, only to finally need a cesarian section with painful recovery taking several weeks. srsly cramped my poker style.

as for me, im glad thats over... im having sooo much fun with my 2month old. its the best thing ever! i dread the time when she ceases to be a baby. hmm... less poker time i suppose, but im so much happier. altho i think more accurately, im less motivated to play preferring to expend my energies elsewhere. for sure i havent slept properly since she was born since i breastfeed exclusively (every 3 hrs or so).

easy guess that 15yr old gives most trouble. 8 is prolly least since its the most latent stage (in development) of the three. (i used to be a pediatrician in a former life). :D i have no idea what a bbc code is (and never will)

congrats for being over the age thing. :D in addition, i must work to be over the gender thing as well. (altho i will never say how old i am...)

maybe when i get better with MTTs we can do some sessions together. it doesnt matter what time. im never asleep for long.
      Having been at the birth of my kids I can safely say that I'm very happy I'm not female. Well done!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wuttehhell
      How about I help you with poker and you help me with my math homework? :D
      I'm just kidding but I wouldn't mind that really :P

This is a very good read, one of the best blogs on this site for sure.

Good luck at the tables teach :P
      For a small fee, I'd be happy to help with your maths homework! Actually, make that a large fee.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      OK, so good news, no Morris dancers yesterday, bad news, no poker either. We decided to go down the beer and DVD route instead. Various people told us that 'Twilight' was a must see film, so we watched that. If you think that pale teenagers staring wistfully at each other through with slightly parted lips constitutes a great romance, this is the film for you. Personally, I thought it was a load of bollocks. Enjoyed the beer though.

Woken up at 6.45 this morning by a small child demanding cheerios with menaces. Number one son and I are going down to London to see one of my old friends (the one I used to play bridge with for those of you paying attention), have a BBQ and watch England lose to Germany on penalties. So no poker again!

One of the advantages of having children is that you get to watch all the latest kid's films with them, which are usually much better than the ones they had when I was small (Monsters vs Aliens beats Bambi any day), and also the children's TV is usually good (even Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam have their entertaining moments). Unfortunately, my daughter's favourite is Barney the Dinosaur which is, without doubt, the most appalling bit of wholesome Americana currently available. There are no wry references to adult themes, no jokes that a child wouldn't get but you would. Its sole aim seems to be to produce good American citizens. I'm worried she's going to grow up to be Hilary Clinton.

Anyway, COME ON ENGLAND! :f_biggrin:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Very interesting blog that allows us to see life from a different view I think... There is so much from all worlds to learn from.

I can somehow understand your situation (even though I'm just 23 I have quite some experience already, having 4 siblings). I've matured pretty fast having lived abroad on my own as a "au-pair" which is pretty much a live in-nanny etc.

I also have a 15 y old brother, and a 4 year old sister. A day at mothers place is like a day at the zoo really and I always feel so relieved when I return to my own place at night where it's quiet and peaceful. Mostly I just fall asleep on the couch exhausted.

I respect you alot for the effort you are able to put in despite the lack of peacefullness.

Oh and I fit into the cathegory 3 or something, I don't mind being corrected as I find it being the best way to improve. How can we find and fix our leaks if we don't know which they are? ?( So by all means, correct me whenever I make a mistake (small or big).

Needless to say I will be following the blog with interest.

Keep up the good work!
      Your English seems fine to me. Glad you like the blog.