This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Midlife Crisis? What Midlife Crisis?

• DannyG13
      DannyG13
      Bronze
      JB and Manu together again :f_love:
    • JohnTheGreatest
      JohnTheGreatest
      Silver
      Originally posted by DannyG13
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JohnTheGreatest
      Originally posted by DannyG13
      :facepalm:

Logs on hoping for interesting comments on poker maths papers. Disappointed again.

Tbh, I feel more like post-BB Saul Goodman than Walter White nowadays. :deadhappy:
    • CarrollJeff
      CarrollJeff
      Basic
      So let me have a go for some remarks on your paper:

I find it very well done but the comments on how to apply for 3-handed poker are not detailed enough. I would like to have more discussions on the solutions of iterated differential equations especially when it settles down.

I find page 23 the most interesting with the time diagram showing the frequencies for different actions. Do you have an explanation for the two different frequencies that occur for (a2,b3 ~ every 16 hands) and (b2,d1 ~ every 6 hands)? I would like to see more diagrams like this one for others solutions. Did you think about exploiting these frequencies for a player, anticipating and shifting his curve left, could he do better than just exploiting current frequencies of other players?

Also is it possible to check how the payouts change if two players collude when the other one just follows his Nash equilibrium solution (Lemonade stand type of collusion)?
      I think some figures are missing for Figure 12: "Periodic behaviour when P = 3.75 for three different initial conditions. The
      red circles indicate the location of Solution 5." but I can see only one initial condition?

Thanks for the great work and awaiting the follow-up for even nearer to poker solution including some raises...
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CarrollJeff
      I find it very well done but the comments on how to apply for 3-handed poker are not detailed enough. I would like to have more discussions on the solutions of iterated differential equations especially when it settles down.
      I'm just going through the motions there. I think that there's very little to be learned about playing real poker from this paper.

I find page 23 the most interesting with the time diagram showing the frequencies for different actions. Do you have an explanation for the two different frequencies that occur for (a2,b3 ~ every 16 hands) and (b2,d1 ~ every 6 hands)? I would like to see more diagrams like this one for others solutions.
      Because I set all the constants ki to one, the timescale on the x-axis is the timescale over which players adjust their betting frequencies. It doesn't correspond to hands directly. That's precisely what you lose when you take a continuous limit like this.

Did you think about exploiting these frequencies for a player, anticipating and shifting his curve left, could he do better than just exploiting current frequencies of other players?
      I didn't think about any sort of higher order strategy like this. I think you're overestimating how closely the current strategy corresponds to a real poker game.

Also is it possible to check how the payouts change if two players collude when the other one just follows his Nash equilibrium solution (Lemonade stand type of collusion)?
      I did have a look at this, but it didn't seem to provide much insight beyond the obvious 'if two players collude, they can win more against the other player's equilibrium strategy'.

I think some figures are missing for Figure 12: "Periodic behaviour when P = 3.75 for three different initial conditions. The
      red circles indicate the location of Solution 5." but I can see only one initial condition?
      Each of the three closed curves is a solution from a different initial condition.

Thanks for the great work and awaiting the follow-up for even nearer to poker solution including some raises...
      You're welcome! I'm currently working on full three player Kuhn poker. I have an idea for a new numerical solution method, but it's proving a bit troublesome to implement at the moment.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      :f_drink:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Hello everybody. I'm back again with another thrilling poker maths paper.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.04670

This is the one about three player Kuhn poker that I promised to write in my previous post six months ago. It's a bit technical this time, but if you're not interested in the maths, sections 5 and 6, which discuss the results, may be of interest. Figure 13 is my favourite graph ever. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

In other news, sometimes I play a bit online, sometimes I play a bit live, but my enthusiasm waxes and wanes. I've just started six months of study leave, during which I'm going to be working on some hard fluid mechanics problems, so I'm going to put the poker maths to one side for a while. There are plenty of poker maths problems that I still want to work on though, including the ones that I discuss in this latest paper.

I hope you all have a nice Valentine's Day. I've promised to cook mrsjb dinner tonight, so wish me luck.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Hello everybody. I'm back again with another thrilling poker maths paper.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.04670

This is the one about three player Kuhn poker that I promised to write in my previous post six months ago. It's a bit technical this time, but if you're not interested in the maths, sections 5 and 6, which discuss the results, may be of interest. Figure 13 is my favourite graph ever. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

In other news, sometimes I play a bit online, sometimes I play a bit live, but my enthusiasm waxes and wanes. I've just started six months of study leave, during which I'm going to be working on some hard fluid mechanics problems, so I'm going to put the poker maths to one side for a while. There are plenty of poker maths problems that I still want to work on though, including the ones that I discuss in this latest paper.

I hope you all have a nice Valentine's Day. I've promised to cook mrsjb dinner tonight, so wish me luck.

Blatant clickbait, jb -- but it worked. This is my PLO8 winnings graph -- but I've never posted it -- how did you manage to find it?

I purchased a copy of The Mathematics Of Poker but I find it has little practical use in actual play. Unlike Education of a Modern Poker Player. :coolface:

All the best, and I hope Mrs jb recovers soon.
      VS
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Yep. PLO8 is a bastard. Thought I'd upload the pic for those too principled to click my bait.

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      You should try skydiving :coolface:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MisClick
      You should try skydiving :coolface:
      I wasn't suggesting that PLO8 was scarier than skydiving....and also, no I shouldn't. At least we know what you've been up to now,

• MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      rock-climbing? :megusta:

It seems my pokerstars account is still there...with money! but I can't remember how to play. So I tried the play money tables last night and went on tilt. But I know I can do better than that...(this sounds so familiar...hmm...why?) Anyway. I have grown in so many ways since the last time I've played... :f_eek: (oh, i forgot how much I love these smilies :f_love: )

I tried to look for you jb but I don't know how to search with that software...

Oh, so excited, prospects are so promising!!!...I need reading glasses now :f_cool: I think I am going to crochet them a leash to keep them around my neck. A sexy leash. With sequins. (My sense of fashion has improved with age I am pleased to say. I'll make you one if you want. It is really as they say, we are like good wine, improving with age :f_cool: )
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      rock-climbing? :megusta:

It seems my pokerstars account is still there...with money! but I can't remember how to play. So I tried the play money tables last night and went on tilt. But I know I can do better than that...(this sounds so familiar...hmm...why?) Anyway. I have grown in so many ways since the last time I've played... :f_eek: (oh, i forgot how much I love these smilies :f_love: )

I tried to look for you jb but I don't know how to search with that software...

Oh, so excited, prospects are so promising!!!...I need reading glasses now :f_cool: I think I am going to crochet them a leash to keep them around my neck. A sexy leash. With sequins. (My sense of fashion has improved with age I am pleased to say. I'll make you one if you want. It is really as they say, we are like good wine, improving with age :f_cool: )
      I don't know about 'grown in so many ways'. You sound the same as ever to me. Not that that's a bad thing. :f_drink:
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze

Let's play some pokah JB! It would be great to catch up. Maybe Thursday eve like the old times?? (i still have a good memory for the important stuff).

I'm off to do some computer science stuff :f_rolleyes:

(just noticed. PartyPoker doesn't exist anymore? :f_confused:
      edit: oh yes it does. They've just changed the colours ... :f_eek: )
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze

Let's play some pokah JB! It would be great to catch up. Maybe Thursday eve like the old times?? (i still have a good memory for the important stuff).

I'm off to do some computer science stuff :f_rolleyes:

(just noticed. PartyPoker doesn't exist anymore? :f_confused:
      edit: oh yes it does. They've just changed the colours ... :f_eek: )
      I'm playing more chess than poker atm, but we can play HU 4 rollz if you like.

P.S. Computer science? Pffff.
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      Yes, letz do it :f_cool:

No more zimmers?

P.S. chess? Pffff

Edit:
      Live games at Nottingham! yes? :f_smile:
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Silver
      So nice to be out of cirkulation for some time at Pokerstrategy only to find ny favorit blog is still alive 🤗 though I think I will skip the 200+ pages i have missed😳
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deralte71
      So nice to be out of cirkulation for some time at Pokerstrategy only to find ny favorit blog is still alive 🤗 though I think I will skip the 200+ pages i have missed😳
      Not so much alive as tired and shagged out after a long squawk.

• UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      People stream chess as well.... maybe you can get in on that?
    • deralte71
      deralte71
      Silver
      At my age, you tend to get nostalgic🤗