[NL2-NL10] NL5 JJ in BB

• konkey
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      MP2 raises to $0.20, MP3 calls $0.20, CO calls $0.20, BU folds, SB calls $0.18, Hero raises to $1.00, 3 folds, SB calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.6) 9, 4, 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero ?

Hi, this was first hand at that table, so unknown opponents. I had problem to decide whether to push or bet something more than half the pot. I decided to push but would like to ask if bet would be better play. And how much should I bet in this situation.
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      I wouldn't have pushed tbh, you're still in a strong position on the flop, with no draws actually being made, only sets and overpairs are beating you unless they're throwing their money in with 94 ;)

I would have probably bet about $1.80 into the pot to try and push draws off whilst not pot committing yourself. It doesn't matter whether you're betting this or pushing on micros, a set or an overpair is not going away, so you should be trying to bet enough to push the draws off but not committing yourself.

But i'm just an amateur, so I could be completely wrong :D
    • Mstlc
      I think you should make the size of your squeeze slightly bigger (like $1.20) There's a huge amount of callers and I prefer not getting a gazillion callers. In fact if my squeeze is enough to take down the pot right here I can't say I'm unhappy with winning 17bb's without seeing a flop.

On the flop I'd probably bet like $1.90 or something. It's hard to say what the SB is calling with here but if he's got flush draws in his range you don't wanna give those hands or odds, or even worse free card. I also wouldn't overshove cause I'm afraid he'll fold a lot of pairs out of his range here. If you just throw a bet out there he might peel the flop with 88 or a worse pair even.
    • Kaitz20
      bet 1.4$ and shove any turn card