Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2,82
      BB:
      $1,89

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:club: , A:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0,06, BB calls $0,04.

Flop: ($0,12) 8:diamond: , 2:spade: , 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,08, BB calls $0,08.

Turn: ($0,28) 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,14, BB calls $0,14.

River: ($0,56) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0,56, Hero calls $0,56.

Final Pot: $1,68

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac Ah)
      BB shows three of a kind, deuces (2c 2h)

BB wins with three of a kind, deuces (2c 2h)

Hi
      So, Im not sure about how I played the hand. What would be your standard play here? Bigger bet on the turn, betting a river a folding to a raise? I wasnt sure about what my opponent had. He had 23/16/1,0 stats so I thought he might have a set,87,or so and thats why I checked a river, but Im not sure if I played it in a proper way.:) So please help.
      Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'd have gone for a bigger turn bet of around $0..20 to try and push him off any straight draw he might have been chasing, or the new possible flush draw out there. The check on the river was well played imo, keeping the pot as small as possible. When i've only got TPTK or overpair on a draw heavy board I check the river quite a lot to eliminate the chance of him reraising me. On micros you were definately correct in calling the river, as they could be throwing money in with air on NL2 (As I know too well :D )
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Don't raise to 3bb on NL2 seriously. If anything you should make it 5bb for more value from shit hands. Imo you shouldn't ever raise to 3bb on NL2 (or NL5 for that matter), not even on the BU... you're playing value poker, get as much money in the pot as you can whenever you have a good hand.

Post flop... flop is ok.

Turn: bet ~$0.20.

River: bet ~$0.48.

Fold vs a raise on any street. Imo checking the river isn't a good idea, he's gonna be betting every better hand (88, 44, 22, 87, 65...) but he's also checking behind with any 8x (like A8) he still has in his range there but he might pay another bet with.

What Wriggers is saying "When i've only got TPTK or overpair on a draw heavy board I check the river quite a lot to eliminate the chance of him reraising me." is a scared money play => bad. You're missing out on value from worse hands by not betting and you're still losing a bet to better hands if you check/call, not in the least cause you have absolutely no idea where you stand so you pretty much have to call if he bets. On some occasions it's ok the check the river to induce a bluff from busted draws but this flop was so dry it's very hard for him actually have any draw there except for something like 65 with actually made a straight.
    • FaulV16ke
      FaulV16ke
      Bronze
      ok :) thanks for a help :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Wriggers
      I'd have gone for a bigger turn bet of around $0..20 to try and push him off any straight draw he might have been chasing, or the new possible flush draw out there.
      We're not trying to push people off draws. If they always fold when we valuebet and they have draws, we're so not making money. We're just trying to get them to call with incorrect odds, which people do all the time. Then it's just a matter of us not screwing up the play on later streets, especially by paying off too much when draws do get there.

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Don't raise to 3bb on NL2 seriously. If anything you should make it 5bb for more value from shit hands. Imo you shouldn't ever raise to 3bb on NL2 (or NL5 for that matter), not even on the BU... you're playing value poker, get as much money in the pot as you can whenever you have a good hand.

Post flop... flop is ok.

Turn: bet ~$0.20.

River: bet ~$0.48.

Fold vs a raise on any street. Imo checking the river isn't a good idea, he's gonna be betting every better hand (88, 44, 22, 87, 65...) but he's also checking behind with any 8x (like A8) he still has in his range there but he might pay another bet with.

What Wriggers is saying "When i've only got TPTK or overpair on a draw heavy board I check the river quite a lot to eliminate the chance of him reraising me." is a scared money play => bad. You're missing out on value from worse hands by not betting and you're still losing a bet to better hands if you check/call, not in the least cause you have absolutely no idea where you stand so you pretty much have to call if he bets. On some occasions it's ok the check the river to induce a bluff from busted draws but this flop was so dry it's very hard for him actually have any draw there except for something like 65 with actually made a straight.
      This pretty much covers the rest of the hand, thanks to Mstlc.

Hope it helps.