How to play A K and missing?

• Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Hello all,

Was hoping to get your thoughts on playing A K. I personally hate this hand but that's more from bad beats than not realising some of it's potential. What I would like to know is some thoughts on how to play it?

As to now I make the standard open raise of 4 x BB plus re-raise of 3 x raise with hope of all in preflop. Is this correct? If not then what do you guys and gals suggest?

Also sometimes as the aggressor with my 4 x BB raise I get a couple of callers. Fine! But then comes the flop which is dry dry dry. Queens and lower which completely misses my hole cards. Now what to do? If I check to it I can guarantee someone will bet behind me and often in front of me IP.

All advice welcome :)
  • 5 replies
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi Greedyfly.

As you said if you get a couple of callers with your raise preflop that is fine.

In this case (multi way pot), a CB will probably be called, so I would say if you miss you miss what can you do.

But remember that you will flop an A or K 33% of the time with your AK.
      That is more than enough to get some money...
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      Hi Greedyfly.

As you said if you get a couple of callers with your raise preflop that is fine.

In this case (multi way pot), a CB will probably be called, so I would say if you miss you miss what can you do.

But remember that you will flop an A or K 33% of the time with your AK.
      That is more than enough to get some money...
      Hi Dublimax,

So you think I am playing right as per the above? It really seems to bleed me of chips which is a frustrating part of my low limit game at the mo. Make a big pot then bleed it off with A K and other marginal hands.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      AK can be horrible but when you raise pre there are so many worse hands that will call you're getting a lot of value. As has been mentioned roughly 1/3 of the time you'll hit TPTK.

Personally, at the micro's, unless I have a real good read on a villain which tells me to do otherwise I'm always c-betting provided it's not a real scary board with a ton of draws just waiting to complete. Provided the c-bet takes the pot half the time this is already a profitable play.

You can go all in at the micro's with AK pre, you will get called by enough worse hands for it to be profitable but I tend to keep it opponent specific which basically just means I'm not shoving it into a multi tabling reg who's showing some aggression. Against unknown fish then I have no problem putting 100bb's on the line with AK.

Do you have a tracker so that you know for sure it's a losing hand or do you just feel like it's a losing hand?
    • Greedyfly
      Greedyfly
      Bronze
      Hey Wurble,

First off did you get my reply?

Yeah I don't have tracker...I have HoldEm Manager but I am buggered if I know how to use it to full effect. Any more user friendly programs you could recommend?

As for A K, I would stake my life that it has cost me more than it has won me. As I type an aggressive chump on a SnG I am playing has just called my preflop raise only for me to miss again and for him to shove.

You online currently?
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Originally posted by Greedyfly
      Hey Wurble,

First off did you get my reply?

Yeah I don't have tracker...I have HoldEm Manager but I am buggered if I know how to use it to full effect. Any more user friendly programs you could recommend?

As for A K, I would stake my life that it has cost me more than it has won me. As I type an aggressive chump on a SnG I am playing has just called my preflop raise only for me to miss again and for him to shove.

You online currently?
      Yeah I'm on now mate, will be on for next few hours