CO ($6.75)
      Button ($18.60)
      SB ($24.30)
      Hero ($5)
      UTG ($18.75)
      UTG+1 ($14)
      MP1 ($10.75)
      MP2 ($20.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:club: , 8:spade: .
      [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], UTG+1 calls $0.25, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, [color:#666666]1 fold[/color], SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 8:club: , 8:diamond: , 8:heart: [color:#0000FF](5 players)[/color]
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, [color:#CC3333]MP2 bets $1[/color], CO calls $1, SB folds, Hero calls $1, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($4.25) 9:spade: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: ($4.25) 7:heart: [color:#0000FF](3 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]Hero bets $0.75[/color], MP2 calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Final Pot: $6.50

Played check/call on the flop...I didn't want to scare anyone out with a check/raise and there is nothing to protect against, so no reason to open bet (other than to build a big pot with a big hand...but again, I didn't want to scare anyone out.) Checked again on the turn hoping that MP2 or CO had either a pocket pair or a 9 and would put more money in with a full house...but no luck. I made a small value bet on the river, since I wanted it to look like a feeble bluff and I wanted to get called. A river push may have looked like a bluff too, but I didn't think it was too likely to get called unless someone had a pocket pair, a 9, or a 7.

What do you think? Is there any way to extract more value?

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      They won´t put you to the 8, so you could check/min raise flop, because there are already 2 players invested 1,25$ and they are getting good pot odds even with their overcards. Bet out 1$ on the turn and the rest 2$ on the river. you want to go all-in with your quads and seems like on of them has also fullhouse
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Bet out on the Flop here and build a pot. Otherwise you risk a check around and on the Flop Overcards often will call a 1/2 Potsizebet here, but very often not on the Turn. A Pocket Pair will call you anyway on the flop and any trash folds anyway. If you check on the Flop and nobody bets, you have no pot on the Turn and everybody can easily fold, unless he has a good FH here. And it looks suspicious when you check/call on the Flop but lead out or check/raise on the Turn.

So bet out and represent a Small Pocket Pair or they think you just bluff. KJ, KT, AT, AJ and any Pocket will call you here on the Flop. And on the Turn you then lead out again or even check/raise when you had enough callers to get your Stack in on the Turn.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kknight!

I also think that you should bet out here. You have 4 opponents so it is very likely that you get at least one call. Bet half potsize on the turn again and push all-in on the river. If your opponents fold: so be it. But by checking and making a small value bet on the river you are not getting more. In the long run you will make money by making value bets not by check/calling.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Thank you for the replies Kaitz, Berliner & Puschkin. I'll definitely remember that for next time I flop quads :D ...unfortunately it's not a very common occurance :(

The reason I went the extreme slowplay route with this hand is because of Phil Gordon's Little Green Book...but I know that he is referring to big stack play and primarily to flopping quads with a pocket pair.

Thanks again,
      Kknight