$6.86
      BU:
      $10.97
      SB:
      $2.08
      BB (Hero):
      $5.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.32) 9, T, 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: ($0.32) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, MP2 raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.22) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, MP2 raises to $2.75, Hero calls $1.95.

Final Pot: $6.72.

Results follow:

MP2 shows a straight, ace high(Jh Kh).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and queens(Qs Ac).

MP2 wins with a straight, ace high(Jh Kh).

what should i do here? i expected him to be holding onto an ace since he raised in middle position. the re-raise on the river shows strength and signals to me that he might have a set or a 2 pair or better. however i have the best 2 pair out there. should i have check called the river or folded to the re-raise? should i have bet the river?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Somewhat funky line on his part. Given his bet sizing overall I'd say he's a competent player somewhat, probably a reg. So him checking back that ugly flop isn't that uncommon, him raising the turn is a whole other story. I don't really expect him to do that with KQ/AQ, nor with KK+ if he checked back the flop with that, which I doubt. I don't think he'd check back a flopped set either but maybe he can sometimes. I don't think he'd open raise stuff like Q9s/Q7s to begin with so him having two pairs would require him having like QTs that choose not to c-bet that flop to avoid a check/raise, again it's dicey. KJ is a very real possibility, he just passed on the flop c-bet and luckboxed the nuts on the turn so he's raising. I guess if he's bad he could be doing that with something J9 just because it's a combodraw or something, but that's pretty much the only hands that we're ahead of I can see him play like that.

I think bet/call turn bet/fold river is okay on your part assuming you believe he's capable of showing up with weird two pairs / Jx combo stuff for raising that turn, maybe even trickily playing KK+ or something. There are players against whom I'd fold the turn, because they just don't raise with worse hands ever after checking back the turn, they always luckboxed something strong if they take those weird slow&go lines. Whenever it feels like a "I'm giving up" to "oho, I raise" turn around line and you're playing what looks like a straightforward regular, the last card usually made their 2-4 outer they planned on check/folding with.

Hope it helps.