Stack
      SB:
      $2,58
      Hero:
      $2,41
      CO:
      $3,77

0,01/0,02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , J:heart:
      2 folds, CO calls $0,02, BU folds, SB calls $0,01, Hero raises to $0,08, CO calls $0,06, SB calls $0,06.

Flop: ($0,24) 9:spade: , 2:spade: , T:spade: (3 players)
      SB bets $0,24, Hero calls $0,24, CO folds.

Turn: ($0,72) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets $0,72, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0,72

Hi
      I really don't know what to do with an overpair on monotone flop. And what if turn comes a different suit card? Should I call or raise?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      You had to fold on the turn imo, on NL2 the jokers will chase flush draws no matter what your bet size is. So even though you're not giving him the odds to call on the flop, he will. If the flop was a different suit I don't think he would be betting, and you should be firing out about 2/3 to 3/4 pot in my opinion, a lot of the NL2 players will fold a flush draw if they miss on the turn. Obviously if he called on the turn and then a flush draw was completed you'd have to play check/fold.

Hope this is correct, or at least near, i'm just a beginner trying to analyse some hands :D
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Double your pre-flop raise size: 4bb + 1bb/limper + 1bb for being out of position => 3 limpers => 8bb raise... make it $0.16 instead of $0.08.

On the flop as played, make a pot sized raise 3 x villain bet + pot => 3x $0.24 + $0.24 = $0.96 and go broke ofc.

The turn is an obvious fold of course.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by Mstlc
      Double your pre-flop raise size: 4bb + 1bb/limper + 1bb for being out of position => 3 limpers => 8bb raise... make it $0.16 instead of $0.08.

On the flop as played, make a pot sized raise 3 x villain bet + pot => 3x $0.24 + $0.24 = $0.96 and go broke ofc.

The turn is an obvious fold of course.
      Sounds good as a default line, especially if his current 3.5 AF is just a fluke due to the small sample size.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind getting all heroic in that spot if you've seen villain make those potsized donkbets as a bluff before, because the truth is, his range for donking pot for value keeps shrinking as the board gets scarier.

He need like a top pair, two pairs, a set or a flush, maybe a big lone spade if he's not check/calling with it, to make that donk on the flop. Now on the turn top pairs/two pairs/sets are worthless, small flushes got counterfeited as well, which means you're only looking at hands with a big spade that decided to play aggressively with a draw on the flop, or made some small flushes that are continuing to bet regardless of the 4th spade, with a small portion of hands that flopped a nutted flush and still have a nutted hand.

Compare that to the bluffing range of an aggressive fish who donked out with complete air on the flop and now feels like this is a scary card to continue betting at, making a calldown against those guys isn't out of the question. I wouldn't advise it unless you've confirmed he's the bluffing type, and sometimes he'll randomly show you a Q after triple barreling which will make you sad, but thinking about that stuff is important.

Hope it helps.