Sick of grinding NL5. Seeking for inspiration.

• Pizzacat
      Pizzacat
      Bronze
      I've been grinding for about a month now but lately things have gone plain ugly. After every upswing comes a bigger downswing and no matter what i do, i just keep losing money.

My graph:

Stats from HEM's Leak Buster:

• 11 replies
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      vs 3bet call % is a major leak from what I can see.

think about it. your calling too often vs a 3bet, which people are most likely to do with what they believe to be strong hands.

If it were me, I would think of the series of decisions I go through when deciding to 3bet villain.

What player type is he? Position? previous hands in that particular position? does he overcall much? does he overplay 2nd pair/TPTK and small pp's.

I'm guessing this is 6max. Make sure you have a game plan with the hands your calling 3bets with.

3bet pot sizes tend to be bigger, which in turn means your going to win or lose bigger sums. It certainly seems plausable to me that this could be causing problems for you!

btw, nice volume, wish I had the time, sigh :(
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Welcome to the club. I've also been grinding NL5 for a month without much success, after killing NL2 in less then a month.

I agree with the previous poster, at least from your stats, your only major leak is vs. 3 bet you're calling way too much, and consequently 4 betting too little. You should be 4 betting more vs. 3 bets if you think you're ahead of villains range, folding to a shove is better then not knowing where you are on the flop with a marginal overpair ie 1010, JJ or QQ or even overcards like AK. You should only really be calling a 3 bet in few instances, for example getting 3 bet by a tightish/rock player from the blinds when you have AK, you might just call since you're in position and play post flop from position without the pot getting out of control preflop. I guess I'm talking about how I'd play it, might not be the right or best way to play since I'm not having too much success either!! I had this same leak earlier in NL5. When I started stealing and restealing, I had a week or two I went from no stealing to too much 3betting and stealing and in particular calling a lot of resteals to my steals, instead of just folding with marginal hands.
    • Pizzacat
      Pizzacat
      Bronze
      Wow, didn't notice that there were replies to my thread. Thank you!

However, the miracle has happened thanks to Iron Man Mid Year bonus.
      Here's what happened - some days after this post I managed to climb out of that hole and raise my bankroll to 200$. Actually I noticed the 3-bet calling leak myself and that gave me some spirit to work on my game.
      Earlier in spring I was grinding NL10 Rush poker(in the end lost my whole BR so I switched to standard poker(that graph in the first post)) and that gave me chance to collect Iron Man months worth 350$ for releasing in Mid Year promotion.
      Came the July and it was time to release those 350$ and I decided to do it by switching back to Rush starting with 200$ bankroll.

Now here I am with Diamond status, playing NL50 Rush and actually making pretty big profit from poker.

Here's my graph since the middle of July (the most money comes from rakeback though):

I sought inspiration myself and now I can give it to the other poker player. Don't lose hope and never let a downswing influence your game (a little monkeyrage is okay) because after a big downswing there comes a bigger upswing.

Thank you PokerStrategy! :f_love: :f_love:
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      wow that is impressive, cant think of all the rakeback you must have received in this time.
      How many hours do you play per day?

btw,please do not stop working on your game, post hands once in a while - courtesy of our hand evaluators they will tell you if played correct in spots where you weren't sure, have a look at our video section or enjoy coaching sessions with our coaches - you see them all now!

still impressed,greetings from gib,
      SvenBe
    • Pizzacat
      Pizzacat
      Bronze
      Thanks!
      Since moving to NL50 last week I'll be looking at ~550$ rakeback this friday.
      I 4-table at least 5-8 hours a day. On NL25 it was around 200$ each week.
      Haha, no wories, i learn constantly.. will look into that Evaluation section when some interesting hand happens. :s_cool:
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Platinum
      Sick volume. Wish I had time to grind 8h/day. WP & GL! :f_thumbsup:
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      n1, not played in a good while and noticed FT was dishing out cash again so thought I'd put in some volume at rush, if you can fold AK pre or QQ, it seems to be super profitable. Although just had JJ vs AA and got tarped!!! AdJd5h villain having limp called AA respectively. Again, good job :)

Edit: The FT friends / pro's are loving it, not tracked + making a ton of dollar, insane.
    • ZhiCheng
      ZhiCheng
      Bronze
      ok.. so how many hands do u get in on nl100 ? how does it go sofar ?

ur sick volumemonkey! :f_biggrin: some tricks?
    • Pizzacat
      Pizzacat
      Bronze
      Necromancer... :D
      i wish it was better.. around 14k hands over 17 days and up only ~700$(+rakeback and 2x500$ bonuses, i'm sick imaging how much i would have made with Dealt method). yesterday it was like 1500$, took a nice swing.

the only trick is to play. :f_biggrin:
    • goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Is it possible to get high bb/100 at rush or is grinding the only way :s_o:
      What sort of stats do you play?
    • Pizzacat
      Pizzacat
      Bronze
      I don't think a "stable" bb/100 in rush is possible because of the extreme variance. But sure, you can win without putting in mega volume. :D Atm i play around 15/12..

Also, a little moan about today... i probably haven't experienced more unlucky day in my poker career than this one (in terms of luck not BI's lost :D ).. almost 1k$ under EV. :f_biggrin: To my surprise, tilted only a little.