[NL2-NL10] NL 5 - Playing From Blind Help!

• Greedyfly
      Now ultimately there isn't an awful lot to this hand evalualtion and it worked out well BUT I have been pondering the way to play out of the blind recently and this helps to both ask and hopefully answer some questions:

Basically I get the idea of defending your blinds but only when worthwhile OR you think CO, BU or SB is on the steal. However dealing with crappy hole cards and still playing your blind. Any advice?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 5.
      5 folds, CO calls $0.05, BU folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) 3, 7, Q (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.10, CO folds, SB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.15.

Not only this I had someone tell me that a good way of improving isn't necessarily posting hand evals for bad beats or big wins but for plays you are unsure of...So evaluate away :)
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Originally posted by Greedyfly
      Not only this I had someone tell me that a good way of improving isn't necessarily posting hand evals for bad beats or big wins but for plays you are unsure of...So evaluate away :)
      That someone is very right.

I think your flop bet is fine, you're stealing the equity from people that have overcards to your sevens. You're not gonna get calls from worse ofc but betting to pick up dead money is fine.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Obviously you want to post hands you're unsure about. It's very hard to screw up when you get a monster hand and bad beats are worthless learning-wise as well, tho there might be cases where you're unsure of how to play a monster the most +ev against a particular player or wonder whether some hand actually IS a bad beat considering how tight your opponent was. Overall just post when you can't take a hand cold and explain to yourself or to a friend why you're doing what you're doing, because it usually means you don't really get it.

As for the "blind defending idea", be careful with that term. The truth is at microstakes you don't need to get all upset and tough on people stealing your blinds, "defending" what you think is "your" money always means you'll be playing out of position, which forces most people to play a lot more hands than they should when they can't profitably get away with it out of position.

If you have crappy cards and get a freeplay it's easy, you're not entitled to any money to begin with, so most of the time if you don't have anything just go away it shouldn't even bother you. If the board is really dry you can stab at it sometimes even 3-way because it's unlikely anybody has anything, but prefer doing so if you have at least some equity, like 1 overcard or a random gutshot. Bluffing with undercards is usually something you shouldn't do unless it's a spot where people will just fold to you a whole lot, because you have no backup plan.

Here you flop a second pair and the only thing that is out of the question is check/raising, as it doesn't make any sense at all. Both check/calling and leading have benefits and without reads it's hard to decide which way to go. I'd probably end up leading as well just because there are a lot of overcards to our pair and those villains limped preflop, meaning they're unlikely to bluff at the pot. They're however quite likely to just not fold and we'll have to check/fold the turn a lot when bet into, if they check back then make a dicey decision on blank rivers when the draws miss. Usually it'll be a check/call since they won't be valuebetting much of anything if they're are as passive as they seem to be.

Hope it helps.