[NL2-NL10] NL5 - Playing against a bluffing callingstation.

• Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Just clarify things up, the 2 following hands are played against a bluffing calling station, like the title states (can't really name it anything else). He raises with trash and calls with trash, so the goal of my play was to get HU with him and beat him.

In this hand my bluffer callingstation is BU. The queen was quite scary on the flop, but I did decide to push it. Any reason not to do it against such player?
      Known players:
      BU:
      $18.99
      Hero:
      $4.96

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T:diamond: , T:heart:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 2 folds, BU calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.24, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.44, Hero raises to $1.00, BU calls $0.56.

Flop: ($2.08) 8:heart: , Q:diamond: , 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.96 (All-In), BU calls $3.96.

Turn: ($10.00) 7:club:
      River: ($10.00) J:spade:

Final Pot: $10.00

MP3 - my bluff callingstation. The oversized (and other wise stupid) raise was to drive everyone else out of the pot. Was mostly successful. The MP1 was another player who had discovered MP3 as a gold mine. So, the flop was really good for me, and I decided to push it again.
      Known players:
      MP3:
      $8.87
      Hero:
      $4.47
      MP1:
      $15.47

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:heart: , A:heart:
      UTG+2 raises to $0.16, MP1 calls $0.16, MP2 calls $0.16, MP3 raises to $0.28, Hero raises to $1.00, 4 folds, MP1 calls $0.84, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.72.

Flop: ($3.38) T:diamond: , K:heart: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      MP1 checks, MP3 bets $2.56, Hero raises to $3.47 (All-In), MP1 calls $3.47, MP3 calls $0.91.

Turn: ($13.79) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $4.73, MP3 raises to $4.40 (All-In).

River: ($22.92) 8:club:

Final Pot: $22.92

All in all, how would the best play against such person be? I don't think that my play was the best, but for the moment I couldn't come up with anything better. :)
  • 6 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

1) If you raised 0,24$, he check/raised 0,44$, then you were already HU. So your 4-bet doesn't make a lot sense if you don't want to push on the flop:D

I would call his check/raise and on that board I would check/re-raise. If he is that kind of player, who pushes with nothing then I have to call his push. But mostly he should call or fold and then I could push turn, if no scare card doesn't come.

2) I don't like again your 4-bet. I need a better hand to do that. ATs- you might call and on the right flop you may get paid. On the flop you have to all-in for pot odds, also you have middle pair, top kicker. But remember that you don't want always build a big pot pre-flop with you medium hands even against bluffing callingstations:)
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks.. will try to act accordingly next time... that is just call their 3-bet.
    • Gungunhana
      Gungunhana
      Bronze
      Hello Omhu
      I agree with Kaitz. If he is a calling st, you don´t need to build a big pot pf, particularly with a medium hand.
      He won´t let go anyway and you can wait the flop to make a decision.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

Hand 1) As already mentioned: just call his check/raise and check/raise him on this flop. If he keeps pressuring you, just fold and wait for a better spot.

Hand 2) Call his 3-bet preflop. On this flop it's an easy all-in with middle pair top kicker plus nutflush draw.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hand 1) As already mentioned: just call his check/raise and check/raise him on this flop. If he keeps pressuring you, just fold and wait for a better spot.
      The problem with that would be that there would most certainly be a bet on the next street after my check/raise, and I'd have to fold. (There is a very slim chance that there will be a ten on the turn) So I'd lose money with a hand which has quite good odds against him.
      Isn't it so? :)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      If he has a queen, jacks, kings or aces he will beat you. Against these players I like to wait for top pair at least and get paid off.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81