[NL2-NL10] My leak is big pairs (JJ-AA)

• ashba89
      ashba89
      Bronze
      Well as topic so clearly states, i think i have found my biggest leak. That being big pairs (JJ-AA). Things like the following happens all the time.

How am i supposed to play these hands if im up against a 3-bet/4-bet?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Spela upp hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $3.90
      CO:
      $14.35
      BU (Hero):
      $17.90
      SB:
      $9.44
      BB:
      $3.50
      UTG1:
      $10.00
      UTG2:
      $10.43
      MP1:
      $10.79
      MP2:
      $10.04

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, Q.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.30, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $3.30, Hero calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.75) 5, 5, 9 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $3.00, Hero raises to $8.60, MP2 calls $3.74.

Turn: ($22.09) 8 (2 players)

River: ($22.09) T (2 players)

Final Pot: $22.09.

Results follow:

MP2 shows two pairs, kings and fives(Ks Kd).
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and fives(Qc Qs).

MP2 wins with two pairs, kings and fives(Ks Kd).
      Hero wins with two pairs, queens and fives(Qc Qs).

-----
  • 2 replies
    • letmewinplz8
      letmewinplz8
      Bronze
      Depending on the player - I might just call with Qs here. If hes likely to play a polarized 4b range often against my 3b I'll just call so I play against a range I crush but also so I don't get bluffed out. However If hes calling 3b OOP often or not good enough to 4b bluff then 3b/fold is a fine line.

I don't like 3b/call though - I'd just fold to the 4b - too often is this big 4b KK/AA. If you think your hand is good you just jam it in pre.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by letmewinplz8
      Depending on the player - I might just call with Qs here. If hes likely to play a polarized 4b range often against my 3b I'll just call so I play against a range I crush but also so I don't get bluffed out. However If hes calling 3b OOP often or not good enough to 4b bluff then 3b/fold is a fine line.

I don't like 3b/call though - I'd just fold to the 4b - too often is this big 4b KK/AA. If you think your hand is good you just jam it in pre.
      Sounds good and that's about as precise as you can be without reinventing the theory. It's just playing ranges. Your actions need to have a purpose, which means with QQ there needs to be value when you put in a raise.

If villain is never calling 3-bets out of position, there is no value in him calling, so there needs to be value in him 4-betting. If you don't think he'll 4-bet with at least JJ, you'll be up against AK+/QQ+ all the time, which means there is no value in him 4-betting either, which adds up to you only finding value when he folds to your 3-bet. If that's so, you could as well 3-bet/fold complete garbage and take the opportunity with QQ to flatcall to keep his worse hands in.

If villain is always calling 3-bets out of position, there is a lot of value in him calling, so you need to 3-bet regardless of his 4-betting range. Don't be fooled tho, most of the players you'll be very happy to 3-bet at microstakes will barely ever 4-bet worse hands than QQ, so don't get carried away into 5-bet jamming into KK+ just because you put in a 3-bet in the first place. There is no value for you in going up against a 4-bet from calling station type players.

You'll see people all over the place in between those two scenarios as well. Regs who overdo the 4-betting game that you need to felt QQ against, aggro fish who don't care about anything and will 4-bet you with whatever they end up having, regs/fish alike that flat 3-bets out of position with KK+ and never 4-bet.

The point is, to make it through, you need to start putting people on ranges even if you only have little information on them and go with that, otherwise you'll always feel like you're guessing. I'd just advise you not to continue against 4-bets with QQ at microstakes fullring unless it's a spot where your opponent is likely to 4-bet light/wide at least sometimes, think BBvsBU or against a random tough/sly reg.

Hope it helps.