[NL2-NL10] NL 25 conti bets..

• qotsa7887
      qotsa7887
      Bronze
      0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , 9:club: . CO posts a blind of $0.25.
      Hero raises to $1.00, CO calls $0.75, BU calls $1.00, SB calls $0.90, BB folds.

Flop: ($4.25) 5:heart: , T:spade: , 4:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, 2 folds, SB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($6.25) 5:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.50, SB calls $3.50.

River: ($13.25) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3.75, SB folds.

Final Pot: $17.00

since the board did in not seem dangerous i decided to make continuation bets on the flop and turn

seeing no action from the other player and by the appearance of a higher card on the river i decided to make another bluff which worked.

my question now is, is that kinda play advisable or was it just plain dumb luck on my side?
      thx

(my loose pre flop bet was made because the players were all very tight)
  • 4 replies
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      Eum what?!

First of all, are you playing SSS strategy at a 5 handed table or did you just post in the wrong forum?

Anyhow for the hand:
      A9o isnt really an open raiser UTG+1 imho, but lets not talk about prelfop play.

Flop: That isn't a continuation bet, thats trowing in some money saying you missed. A cbet should be like 2/3 of the pot. Bet 3.50 or don't bet at all. And honestly, don't bet into 3 people if you missed.

Turn: I don't really see many draws that call the flop, maybe 67 but thats like the only one. I guess betting again is ok, but again make it more sizeable.

River: Well your opponent has been really passive. I think betting here is rather stupid. If he had the 67draw on the flop, then you have showdownvalue anyhow with ace high. If he's calling the flop and the river with a T then he will call 3.75 for sure on the river. You're giving him like 6 to 1 on his call. If you want to bluff, then make it close to potsized.

Conclusion:
      No offence, but this hand was played HORRIBLE from preflop till river. I suggest you visit the forums more often, listen to some coachings and play some NL10 first. Learn to betsize properly, don't fall in love with aces preflop, ...
    • qotsa7887
      qotsa7887
      Bronze
      thank you a lot for that reply..

i switched to SSS after only playing a lot of limit hold em.. i didnt quite realize that i had little to no detailed knowledge about bettingsize and such..

of course now i realize that this hand is an extreme.. the fact that there were only 5 ppl is cuz people left and normally i did not play hands as bad as that but for some reason i wanted to pull of some bluff at that time.. stupid move..

anyway, i'll be reading and watching about SSS for a while now before i'll go on playing.

thanks a lot again for the advice,it will help me a lot in the future

qotsa7887
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      And another advise. When you have more then 25 Big Blinds as a table bankroll, blind out and leave the table, otherwise you are not a shortstack anymore.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi gotsa7887!

I agree with Nogatsira and Berliner1982 concerning stack sizes and number of people at the table. But you already realized that, too and are working on it: that's good! Keep going!

Concerning your hand: The idea to steal the blinds because the CO posted a blind and there is extra money in the pot isn't too bad with A9o. But a continuation bet on this flop against 3 players doesn't make sense at all. Just play check/fold here.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81