This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How to use HUD?

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I couldn't find any articles on how to use HUD so here is a thread to speak about it.

On most of the players I have only a smallish sample size so I am using only the default stats (VP,PFR and AFq) that gives me a rough idea on their starting hand ranges.

These only 3 stats have influenced my game already. I do not even bother playing against a player with 5/5/x. So if I am dealt AK and he raises I just fold my hand.

Recently I have increased considerably my database size and I have some big samples on some players (like 10k).
      What stats are you using against them?

In addition to the 3 mentionned above I added Flop Continuation Bet, Fold to Flop Continuation Bet, WTS, Fold to 3B, Fold to 4B, 3B.

It is all great . For instance I will 3B bluff more if I see that he has a high Fold to 3B etc...

However I feel like these stats dictate my game more than they should.

The logic would be that I decide what to do and then look at his stats where I am clearly looking first at players stats and then decide what to do.

Also I have noticed that I pay much less attention to the game itself since I have the stats that tell me how a player plays.

All in all these stats are great but a bit dangerous in terms of influencing a lot my game.

How are you using HUD?, how often are you refering to these stats? Have you found any drawbacks using HUD? etc...

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Max
  • 3 replies
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Bronze
      Hey,

my experience when I started a year ago using a HUD was great. I kept adding more stats and reorganizing the it and adjusting color coding.

But the more I played the more I relied on the HUD than the actual game itself, the players tendencies and present table dynamics. It actually came to deteriorate my gameplay instead of helping. As a result, although my Non-Showdown winnings skyrocketed my Showdown winnings went way down.

So I have to say you are right about this: first pay attention to the players and the table and particularly to your notes before you make your decisions. After that assessment analyse the statistical part using the HUD.

I play 6-max (dropped from NL10 to NL4) and my game changed dramatically from a break-even/slight losing rate to a good winrate when I adjusted these:
      - from 6 to 12 tables with large +25 stats HUD
      - to 2 to 4 tables no HUD, just notes and reads.

This decision made me more focused on the game and players and oriented to learning and improving rather than auto-piloting.

I truly recommed playing very few tables and starting with no HUD and gradually implementing stats: VPIP/PFR/3B/Hands, then later FCB, FvFCB, WTSD, Fv3B, then stuff like TCB, 4B, SQ, PFR and Fv3B by position, etc. But very slowly and only if you notice positive changes.

GL
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      New article about stats : http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1780/1/

Originally posted by Dublimax
      Hi all,

I couldn't find any articles on how to use HUD so here is a thread to speak about it.

On most of the players I have only a smallish sample size so I am using only the default stats (VP,PFR and AFq) that gives me a rough idea on their starting hand ranges.

These only 3 stats have influenced my game already. I do not even bother playing against a player with 5/5/x. So if I am dealt AK and he raises I just fold my hand.

Recently I have increased considerably my database size and I have some big samples on some players (like 10k).
      What stats are you using against them?

In addition to the 3 mentionned above I added Flop Continuation Bet, Fold to Flop Continuation Bet, WTS, Fold to 3B, Fold to 4B, 3B.

It is all great . For instance I will 3B bluff more if I see that he has a high Fold to 3B etc...

However I feel like these stats dictate my game more than they should.

The logic would be that I decide what to do and then look at his stats where I am clearly looking first at players stats and then decide what to do.

Also I have noticed that I pay much less attention to the game itself since I have the stats that tell me how a player plays.

All in all these stats are great but a bit dangerous in terms of influencing a lot my game.

How are you using HUD?, how often are you refering to these stats? Have you found any drawbacks using HUD? etc...

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Max
      i use my HUD to classify the players into general categories.

Rocks / nits/weak tight players i steal their blinds / pressure them on the flop
      their PFR and VP both low, 5/5 and the likes.

TAGs i aim to flop the nuts against them or anything above 2 pair on the flop
      (there are a couple of different variety of TAGs out there , like the aggressive version who never calls , choosing to bet/fold preflop , then there are those that can call and plays postflop.
      their VP/PFR are quite close , with VP ranging from 11--15 in FR , to 15-20 in SH. their PFR is seldom less then half their VP.

sLAGs :Their VP/PFR is not really fixed and really dependant on the Blinds / Btn when they are in late position.

Need more hands to check that they are sLAGs as they tend to be tight EP , loosen up a lot in LP (according to those after them)

their positional % is probably like : Blinds /EP/MP /LP

Single digit / single digit / 10+ / 20 - 50 +%

so sLAGs tend to resteal them , looking to flop the nuts cheaply on the flop when they raise from EP , and then , only if someone else has called before.

LAGS i have to use the HUD to check what sort of LAGs they are

they can be traditional LAG ( Loose pre , tight post)
      Maniac ( AF going off the charts)
      peeler ( sees a lot of turn e.g. fold to flop cb : 8 , fold to turn CB :90)

Or policemen (fishes)
      : Bet for value , don't bluff them!

with little stats on them , its hard to tell the tedencies , the more the merrier

beyond the 3 stats to tell , VP/PFR/AF ( i dun use AFq as it tells me only how often he bets , not if his aggressive or passive , should be used in tandem with AF if u want to use)

i include stats like Fold to flop Cbet , Cbet flop , Bet flop (donking) , c/r total , Sqz , PF4bet and fold to PF4bet into my HUD.

these are to spot for tendencies.

e.g. if villian's Sqz is 0 over 500 hands , then suddenly he 3bets a UTG raiser , MP1 and 2 caller from the Btn , its probably not a squeeze play

If he cbets too often , or too little , can take a look at popup to see his post flop tendencies.

if he donks a lot , i treat his donks as checks and bet according to the pot at that point .
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Without going into detail (you can use every stat in some way) I think stats are in general overvalued, especially once you move up the limits.
      In the HUD I only have: VPIP, PFR, 3bet%, squeeze% and the number of hands.
      And even with those I'm careful.

The situation someone's in usually dictates the moves he is capable of a lot more than his stats.

For example say a reg on your table has a cbet% of 90.
      Now he openraises UTG and a 5/5 player calls his raise on the button, you call with QJs in the BB.
      The flop comes down KT4r.
      If the 90%-cbet guy cbets now, I'd be very careful and definitely not checkraise-semibluff because he will fold close to never - even though he has a high cbet% he has to be aware BU has AK/KK+ close to always here.