How to use HUD?

• Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I couldn't find any articles on how to use HUD so here is a thread to speak about it.

On most of the players I have only a smallish sample size so I am using only the default stats (VP,PFR and AFq) that gives me a rough idea on their starting hand ranges.

These only 3 stats have influenced my game already. I do not even bother playing against a player with 5/5/x. So if I am dealt AK and he raises I just fold my hand.

Recently I have increased considerably my database size and I have some big samples on some players (like 10k).
      What stats are you using against them?

In addition to the 3 mentionned above I added Flop Continuation Bet, Fold to Flop Continuation Bet, WTS, Fold to 3B, Fold to 4B, 3B.

It is all great . For instance I will 3B bluff more if I see that he has a high Fold to 3B etc...

However I feel like these stats dictate my game more than they should.

The logic would be that I decide what to do and then look at his stats where I am clearly looking first at players stats and then decide what to do.

Also I have noticed that I pay much less attention to the game itself since I have the stats that tell me how a player plays.

All in all these stats are great but a bit dangerous in terms of influencing a lot my game.

How are you using HUD?, how often are you refering to these stats? Have you found any drawbacks using HUD? etc...

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Max
  • 3 replies
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Bronze
      Hey,

my experience when I started a year ago using a HUD was great. I kept adding more stats and reorganizing the it and adjusting color coding.

But the more I played the more I relied on the HUD than the actual game itself, the players tendencies and present table dynamics. It actually came to deteriorate my gameplay instead of helping. As a result, although my Non-Showdown winnings skyrocketed my Showdown winnings went way down.

So I have to say you are right about this: first pay attention to the players and the table and particularly to your notes before you make your decisions. After that assessment analyse the statistical part using the HUD.

I play 6-max (dropped from NL10 to NL4) and my game changed dramatically from a break-even/slight losing rate to a good winrate when I adjusted these:
      - from 6 to 12 tables with large +25 stats HUD
      - to 2 to 4 tables no HUD, just notes and reads.

This decision made me more focused on the game and players and oriented to learning and improving rather than auto-piloting.

I truly recommed playing very few tables and starting with no HUD and gradually implementing stats: VPIP/PFR/3B/Hands, then later FCB, FvFCB, WTSD, Fv3B, then stuff like TCB, 4B, SQ, PFR and Fv3B by position, etc. But very slowly and only if you notice positive changes.

GL
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      New article about stats : http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1780/1/

Originally posted by Dublimax
      Hi all,

I couldn't find any articles on how to use HUD so here is a thread to speak about it.

On most of the players I have only a smallish sample size so I am using only the default stats (VP,PFR and AFq) that gives me a rough idea on their starting hand ranges.

These only 3 stats have influenced my game already. I do not even bother playing against a player with 5/5/x. So if I am dealt AK and he raises I just fold my hand.

Recently I have increased considerably my database size and I have some big samples on some players (like 10k).
      What stats are you using against them?

In addition to the 3 mentionned above I added Flop Continuation Bet, Fold to Flop Continuation Bet, WTS, Fold to 3B, Fold to 4B, 3B.

It is all great . For instance I will 3B bluff more if I see that he has a high Fold to 3B etc...

However I feel like these stats dictate my game more than they should.

The logic would be that I decide what to do and then look at his stats where I am clearly looking first at players stats and then decide what to do.

Also I have noticed that I pay much less attention to the game itself since I have the stats that tell me how a player plays.

All in all these stats are great but a bit dangerous in terms of influencing a lot my game.

How are you using HUD?, how often are you refering to these stats? Have you found any drawbacks using HUD? etc...

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Max
      i use my HUD to classify the players into general categories.

Rocks / nits/weak tight players i steal their blinds / pressure them on the flop
      their PFR and VP both low, 5/5 and the likes.

TAGs i aim to flop the nuts against them or anything above 2 pair on the flop
      (there are a couple of different variety of TAGs out there , like the aggressive version who never calls , choosing to bet/fold preflop , then there are those that can call and plays postflop.
      their VP/PFR are quite close , with VP ranging from 11--15 in FR , to 15-20 in SH. their PFR is seldom less then half their VP.

sLAGs :Their VP/PFR is not really fixed and really dependant on the Blinds / Btn when they are in late position.

Need more hands to check that they are sLAGs as they tend to be tight EP , loosen up a lot in LP (according to those after them)

their positional % is probably like : Blinds /EP/MP /LP

Single digit / single digit / 10+ / 20 - 50 +%

so sLAGs tend to resteal them , looking to flop the nuts cheaply on the flop when they raise from EP , and then , only if someone else has called before.

LAGS i have to use the HUD to check what sort of LAGs they are

they can be traditional LAG ( Loose pre , tight post)
      Maniac ( AF going off the charts)
      peeler ( sees a lot of turn e.g. fold to flop cb : 8 , fold to turn CB :90)

Or policemen (fishes)
      : Bet for value , don't bluff them!

with little stats on them , its hard to tell the tedencies , the more the merrier

beyond the 3 stats to tell , VP/PFR/AF ( i dun use AFq as it tells me only how often he bets , not if his aggressive or passive , should be used in tandem with AF if u want to use)

i include stats like Fold to flop Cbet , Cbet flop , Bet flop (donking) , c/r total , Sqz , PF4bet and fold to PF4bet into my HUD.

these are to spot for tendencies.

e.g. if villian's Sqz is 0 over 500 hands , then suddenly he 3bets a UTG raiser , MP1 and 2 caller from the Btn , its probably not a squeeze play

If he cbets too often , or too little , can take a look at popup to see his post flop tendencies.

if he donks a lot , i treat his donks as checks and bet according to the pot at that point .
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Without going into detail (you can use every stat in some way) I think stats are in general overvalued, especially once you move up the limits.
      In the HUD I only have: VPIP, PFR, 3bet%, squeeze% and the number of hands.
      And even with those I'm careful.

The situation someone's in usually dictates the moves he is capable of a lot more than his stats.

For example say a reg on your table has a cbet% of 90.
      Now he openraises UTG and a 5/5 player calls his raise on the button, you call with QJs in the BB.
      The flop comes down KT4r.
      If the 90%-cbet guy cbets now, I'd be very careful and definitely not checkraise-semibluff because he will fold close to never - even though he has a high cbet% he has to be aware BU has AK/KK+ close to always here.