$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      4 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

CO ($9.66)
      Hero ($10.09)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10.06)

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 4 players) Hero is BTN A:diamond: J:spade:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.35, SB raises to $1.15, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.80

Flop: 3:spade: 9:heart: A:club: ($2.40, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: 3:club: ($2.40, 2 players)
      SB bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30

River: J:diamond: ($5, 2 players)
      SB bets $2.50, Hero goes all-in $7.64, SB goes all-in $5.05

Opp: 14/12/8.0/5.3 (VPIP, PFR, 3bet%, AF) over 170 hands

Pre: I already saw him defending blinds like that, so I just call it off and see what happens on flop.

Flop: A bit strange that he didn't cbet, but I'm not making any move either as if I'm betting he's folding any trash he has (if he has) and just continue with top of his range and by checking back I allow him to make some moves as he's rather aggro.

Turn: 3 can't change much so now I just call it off and see river action, because again - there's no use in raising.

River: Now I beat any two pair and sets are really unlikely here, so I just jam it over.

Standard? Well, the thing I'm in doubt - preflop call. He's tight, he likes to 3bet from SB, but AJ can be so easily dominated by AQ/AK that's ideal for him to make such a move in SB. In flop is there any point in betting?

Any opinions?
  • 2 replies
    • N0pr3s3n7
      The problem with AQ and AJ versus a 3bet is that there is no proper flop you can hit actually.Meaning you would look forward to trips , or a straight.Because if you hit A you don't know if he dominates you , if you hit your bottom pair there are plenty of overpairs beating you and since the board can change and even bring Q , K it would get even worse.So these type of hands would be better to push preflop or fold preflop.If you play postflop them you will get in very hard situations and it's hard to evalute where you stand at the hand.

As played it's fine to check behind, you don't want to bet and face a raise from him since you will have to fold.As you say he is agro so he will bet himself later streets.So you are very likely to get value from TT,JJ,QQ,KK and many other hands that missed the flop.On the river I can't guess what he is having there , i see his play like a tricky AA having a set on the flop but since you have another A it's very unlikely.Also he might be making check with AK , AQ since the board is really drawless and he isn't afraid of any cards, and he might have some reads on you to help him get more value.

Curious to know what hand did he show on the river ?
    • MaestroOfZerg

I have no problem with you defending AJ against a polarized 3-betting range from a nit, as it's the only way to induce a mistake from him. He won't 5-bet over a 4-bet unless he crushes you he'll just fold and if he does crush you he'll shove, easy game. By calling we keep him in the pot with whatever trash he's 3-betting light with and getting a c-bet out of him, since we have big cards that can flop decently on board he's likely to c-bet. The problem being it'll require you making seemingly tough folds with top pairs, usually if you get bet into twice by that player you're no good.

As played I'm also checking back the flop, because it's odd for him not to c-bet so he could be trapping, and if he's scared with stuff like QQ-KK we're more likely to induce calls later on by showing we didn't like the A either. I doubt he has pure air tho, people just c-bet air blindly on such boards.

Turn is obviously fine and it doesn't define his range all that well, he could make that bet with anything from air to a slowplayed monster with QQ type hands in-between trying to protect/get some value when it seems you don't have the A either. Except that I don't believe he had nothing on the flop.

On the river I don't think he's betting twice for value with QQ/KK ever especially since he doesn't beat JJ anymore, and if he's bluffing he's not calling a shove. So the question is only whether he would play AQ/AK like that, and the answer to me is meh I doubt it. I don't see many players go all slowplay-happy with just TPTK on the flop so I'm usually very wary of those lines, and since your hand looks exactly like JJ/AJ a 14/12 might not even call the shove on that river card with AQ/AK. It's your call really but I usually don't push it and just call in that spot.

Hope it helps.