[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH AJ trips on river facing overbet.

• Huseens
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, A.
      Hero raises to $0.20, 3 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) 8, A, K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.35, BB calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.12) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70.

River: ($2.52) A (2 players)
      BB bets $3.00, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.52.

What do we do on the river? Actually I think I made a bad laydown because it is likely that Ax with weaker kicker would do this too. Or even Kx.
  • 2 replies
    • N0pr3s3n7
      Well on these limits it's hard to fold such hands and unless you got some info - stats of the opponent.His play looks like to me like either a flushdraw or busted gutshot - JT,QJ,QT.People often donk bet with their flushdraws these limits and they do it just this way, other donk bets i've seen are made with top pair.Since he bets so big on the river I doubt he is trying to get value from his flush (if he had) more looks like an A and you beat many so i think you can call it.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Considering he didn't donk on the turn and didn't check/raise either I think it's a bit less likely he's got the flush, but I wouldn't really put it past him either especially after his flop minbet/call line, which represents a draw very often. And when such players whiff their draw, they usually minbet again on the turn. Which they often do as well if they minbet/called a top pair for some reason.

This is really dicey without having played with the guy, but in general even tho he probably has the flush more often than Ax imo, considering the pot odds you're offered you're likely good close to what you need. I'd tend to fold more often than not, but I don't mind a call.

Hope it helps.