NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($11.18)
      BB ($5.64)
      UTG ($8.88)
      UTG+1 ($5.06)
      CO ($7.96)
      Hero ($9.95)

Dealt to Hero Q:heart: Q:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20, fold, Hero raises to $0.80, fold, fold, UTG raises to $1.40, fold, Hero calls $0.60

FLOP ($3.15) 2:diamond: 3:spade: T:diamond:

UTG bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

TURN ($4.75) 2:diamond: 3:spade: T:diamond: 3:diamond:

UTG bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

RIVER ($7.15) 2:diamond: 3:spade: T:diamond: 3:diamond: 9:club:

UTG bets $3.60, Hero ?

V; 57/27/6/37h

Preflop: his line looks really strong, I feel behind.
      With given pot odds I called for a set.
      On a Flop he bets really small, and Imo call is fine,
      on turn he agaist call small and I have some outs for a flush, so I called.

I am doubtful about river.

He bets bigger, and due to my preflop thoughts, I might be still behind.

However does price I have to call on river is reasonable, or better to fold?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pot odds are only useful to mitigate doubts and uncertainty. If you know you're behind then it doesn't matter that you get even 7:1, if you know you're ahead even if you get crappy pot odds you're calling anyway.

I tend to put a lot more value into betting pattern then pot odds in these spots where it seems villain has already defined his hand for us, and after some guy minraise/min4bet from UTG I highly doubt he's simply full of shit, I don't even think he's show you JJ. It doesn't really matter that he bet small all the way postflop, his preflop sizing already shows you he doesn't know how to extract value correctly. So

I'm fine with calling the flop, and since we can sometimes crack a big overpair without diamonds on the turn I don't mind drawing to the flush either. Keep in my mind tho that half his KK+ combos have a diamond, so if you hit the river and he bets again on a 4-diamond board you're in for losing a lot of money most likely.

I'm usually just folding the river tho, I still think he has a bigger overpair and we have no more outs to improve, so I won't pay off anymore.

Actually I wrote all that before seeing villain was 57/27/6 even if it's only 40 hands, so if you think he's aggressive enough to take that size all the way with bluffs sometimes you likely need to call on the river with those odds.

Hope it helps.