How to play AK early

• goldchess
      goldchess
      Bronze
      Let's say we raise UTG, and someone 3 bets us in position.

What do we do now with AK? From my experience flatting sucks, because we so often miss and have to give up. Should we just go all-in? Is there a difference if we are playing a fish or a reg?
  • 3 replies
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      In SNG I'd say shove most of the time. Unless as you say, you have a read that the player is very tight. I think so many players are reraising or shoving alot of Ax junk like AQ, AJ and even lower Ax's and Kx's in lower limit SNGs that you can't fold AK.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      In the early phase I would fold if a regular 3bets you. His 3bet range is most likely AK+ and QQ+ so shoving is a mistake. Against a loose player shoving will be the best option because we often get called by worse aces. Against an unknown I prefer flatting and folding if you miss the flop but if you do hit it is very rarely a mistake to try to get it in.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pinnryder
      Against an unknown I prefer flatting and folding if you miss the flop but if you do hit it is very rarely a mistake to try to get it in.
      No, you cant flat OOP. you will end c/f too much or if an A or K hits you will just take the pot down on the flop.

So basically its push or fold depending on youre opp.

T.