[NL2-NL10] AKo vs 74s

• ashba89
      Any pointers on how i can play this hand better? I feel like the call on the end was a bad call. Should i just have bet flop, and then check/fold?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) A, 6, J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.25) 6 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.25) 9 (2 players)
      BB bets $2.14, Hero calls $2.14.

Final Pot: $6.53.
      Results follow:

BB shows a flush, ace high(7 4).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and sixs(A K).

BB wins with a flush, ace high(7 4).
  • 2 replies
    • DaPhunk
      Bet turn to protect against draws. I bet about $1.65 or maybe more on this turn personally and you can always get out of the way if he Check/Raises. If he check/Calls turn I bet again river, he is unlikely to take that line OOP with a flush and unless he is playing AJ scared or slowplaying turned Quads or FH (after calling pre with JJ or AA) so basically there is nothing you have to worry about.

What I am unsure of is what to do if he C/C's turn and then bets river. That would be a very rare and odd line, I guess it would depend on what pot odds I was getting I would probably call that one too because I think its so rare that he could take this line with a good hand.

As for your line;

It sounds like you underestimate quite how wide villains ranges can be in spots like this. Don't let them push you about so much, by checking back turn you are basically bluff inducing, it would be terrible to fold as villains normally 3bet AA and JJ pre and 66 is unlikely. Add to that a lot of villains C/R flush on flop his value range is very thin. Basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't fold river without reads.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Valuebet the turn and likely fold to a raise. People raising there will show up with a boat or a flush, both of which are bad news for you since you might be drawing to only 7 flush outs, likely less since you're sometimes stone-dead.

As played the river is somewhat blurry without reads even against a fish, generally it'll be polarized between busted 1-card flushdraws/gutshots and flushes/boats when they bet that big. Against complete fishy unknowns I generally just fold when they bring out the big guns in such spots since I'm sure they'll bet big hands like that, whereas I have no idea if they actually have a bluffing range. If I have any reason to suspect they're on the bluffy/aggro side I'll call.

Hope it helps.