[NL2-NL10] 89s top pair, drawy board + turn A

• ashba89
      ashba89
      Bronze
      Any advice? These hands are the hardest for me. As soon as an overcard comes im scared.

What could i have done differently?

---

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $22.60
      MP3:
      $9.29
      CO:
      $10.09
      BU (Hero):
      $12.16
      SB:
      $14.34
      BB:
      $13.01
      MP1:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8, 9.
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.3) 9, 4, 7 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.25, BB folds, Hero calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.8) A (2 players)
      SB bets $0.55, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.8.
  • 2 replies
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I suggest raising preflop. You have a good playable hand in Position (on the Button) and can take it down preflop or on the flop with a continuation bet.

I steal $0.3 btw, makes it cheaper.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Raise preflop from the button if you're gonna play the hand, always. It gives you two ways to win the hand: they fold preflop, or they call and you end up winning postflop. 98s is a perfectly fine hand to play in position.

Turn without reads is just a big mess, folding when in doubt is fine. Just as you get scared by the overcard, other players often do as well, which means for him to bet that card he probably doesn't have a middling pair either. Sometimes he'll have a draw and you'll fold the best hand, but a ton of rivers will bring an overcard or a flushcard so it'll be tough for you to call down confidently anyway.

I don't think calling another bet is bad, it's just tougher to play without reads and against aggressive opponents your river decision will be totally blurry. If you tend to wanna fold the turn, you'll end up folding the river frequently, so when you're wrong you've just lost one more bet to not see a showdown.

Hope it helps.