[NL2-NL10] NL2 Overpair

• pinchepokero
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Reproducir mano

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J.
      MP1 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, MP3 calls $0.12, CO raises to $0.40, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.28, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($0.98) T, 2, 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.47, Hero raises to $1.20, CO raises to $7.27, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.18.

What would you do preflop? Call, raise or fold?

Is the overpair well played post flop?
  • 2 replies
    • DaPhunk
      It depends on what reads I have on villain what I do preflop but I think call is fine.

Postflop I severely dislike a Check/Raise on the flop with no reads. You Isolate yourself against better hands and get no value from worse. If its an unknown you then do not know where you stand if he 3bets as he could be going broke with TP for example rather than QQ or KK+ as some regulars would.

I Check/Call and re-evaluate later streets. Maybe even donk turn. If I know that on flop villain goes broke super light I Check/Raise/Shove.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Agreed. You just calling preflop means you generally feel you're behind or marginally ahead of his range for reraising, so there is no reason you should suddenly be happy to check/raise such a board. TT beats you know, he could still have JJ+ and the only good news is that you beat AK on that board, which won't call a raise anyway, so there is no value in raising. Just check/call and see what happens on the turn, most players won't fire at it twice without a hand that beats you anyway.

Hope it helps.