SB: $3.11
      BB: $2.82
      UTG: $15.04
      UTG+1: $9.85
      UTG+2: $4.25
      MP1: $9.75
      Hero (MP2): $12.88

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP2 with Q :diamond: Q :heart:
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.40, 5 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) 7 :diamond: 7 :spade: A :diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.95) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $0.40, UTG+2 raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($2.55) A :club: (2 players)
      UTG+2 bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30

Villain is 11/6 on 100 hands with 6 AF with most of his aggression being on turn + river. I was initially going to fold river to a bet, but when that 2nd A came down I kinda of polarised his range in my head a lot and skewed it towards bluffs / lower PP's turned into bluffs.

What do you think?
  • 5 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I'd bet the flop here. Paired boards are meant to be good to cbet, as are ace high boards. HOWEVER alot of players i play against at the lower stakes like to check raise with air on paired boads, and with the ace showing you'd be forced into a tough decision in an inflated pot. By betting you'd be getting rid of any showdown value in your hand. With position against an apparent fish i'd still bet, two thirds pot, because it's more likely he'll fold than reraise. If he reraised i'd unhappily call and hope to check the turn (this is probably a very weak line though and i could soon be faced with an all in from my opponent)

As played, on the turn you have to raise for value against flush draws. Only a donkey's going to check twice with a 7 or A because they'd be scared of losing value. The min reraise implied you are, in fact, playing a fish. And he probably has a better hand than you. The call seems fine simply based on pot odds; although you're probably beat maybe you aren't.

River is probably a fold. You beat bluffs and lower pocket pairs, but lose to anything that hit the board. A good explanation for your opponent's line postflop is a weak ace but that doesn't tally with his preflop range. Pocket pairs are more likely pre but would you minraise the turn with a weak two pair on an ace high board?

In conclusion, i would be unsure what to do on this hand and will be very interested to see what advice is given from more wise players :f_grin:
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      I think he is holding there EVERY TIME pocket pairs.He is 11/6 , and limps from UTG so I think the chance of him having A is just ridiculus , unless he tends to play A2,3,4,5 suited but these guys don't in full ring in my opinion(i play only shorthanded so if not prove me wrong but just giving you a tip to think on it).
      So he is either having 55,77 on the turn or nothing else.He just saw your low bet and reraise it because of that.Maybe he bet on river with 88-99 or with just pure air - pocket pairs with no value.
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I was thinking about this hand before bed and it occurred to me the check on the flop could make your opponent think you don't have an ace, which is why he's comfortable min betting his weak pocket pairs for value. So the flop cbet should be done.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Let me explain why a check back on flop is good.

1) If we bet we are not getting value from worse hands very often and instead are just being called by better.

2) If we check back the flop we can induce a bluff out of him on turn or get his weaker PP's to call us more lightly when we bet turn. (In case you didn't realise I bet that small on turn because I gave him a weak pocket-pair and I want to be able to get him to C/C turn + river with them)

3) If we cbet and get called we have to check back turn and then have a difficult decision if he OOP Floats us on river.

4) In essence, Our line gets us more value from weaker hands and does not isolate us against better and it normally does not put us in that tricky spots on this limit. We have absolutely no need to think about balancing our range because this is NL10.

These points all lead me to believe that a cbet is wrong.

edit; By the way n0pr3s3n7, I like your analysis of his range. You seem to be thinking in the right way although sometimes he can be limping also TT, Tricky Play with monsters, Some Suited Connecter's and once in a while Axs. Its a bit of a trick of poker when you feel like suggesting a player is ALWAYS on a certain hand type as everyone slips once in a while and plays a hand unusually.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I won't give him a pocket pair every time, not to a guy who's running around with a 42bb stack. Most likely he can have anything that looks pretty, like tons of suited connectors, broadways or Axs hands. Him having high aggression frequency certainly could increase his bluffing range, tho it might also just mean he's always going for check/raises with his good hands.

I'd also check back the flop for the aforementioned reasons. On the turn if I bet it'll be at least half pot, and once we get raised it's dicey. Truthfully I don't expect a guy with 11/6 stats to be on pure bluffs that often when he minraises, tho you made a weak bet so it's certainly possible he just used that as an excuse. I think it's fine either way without further reads as only as he gives you cheap odds.

Hope it helps.