Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,12
      MP3:
      $5,93

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7:spade: , 7:heart:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,20, 4 folds.

Flop: ($0,47) 7:club: , 3:diamond: , 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,25, MP3 raises to $0,60, Hero calls $0,35.

Turn: ($1,67) J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1,00, Hero raises to $4,32 (All-In), MP3 calls $3,32.

River: ($10,31) A:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $10,31

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, sevens (7s 7h)
      MP3 shows three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)

MP3 wins with three of a kind, jacks (Js Jc)

Villan had LAG stats after playing about 30 hands. He certinally had an overpair (maybe even lower set) but I didn't want to scare him off. Should I go all-in on the flop to protect my set? Or should I try to extract more value (I mean what are the chances of him getting set, right?)
  • 4 replies
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Obviously you want to go all in with that hand. No need to scare overpairs away on the flop. You played fine as far as i can tell.
    • N0pr3s3n7
      N0pr3s3n7
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      Obviously you want to go all in with that hand. No need to scare overpairs away on the flop. You played fine as far as i can tell.
      Indeed , when you just call his raise your hand even start looking like 5x , 6x with any pair so you can lose action from him and you will even don't know where you stand on later streets if an 4 or 6 come up.So reraise and go all in , it's obvious it's bad beat on the turn.Just next time don't do this mistake on the flop.If you are scared of 46 you are just too paranoid since he playes 18/8/39 hands he is never calling you down with 46s or 46o from MP3.If he was from BB you can think about that but it's paranoid as well.
    • fusionpk
      fusionpk
      Bronze
      I think your line was perfect, I think it was the best way to extract value, he never has the nuts on the flop so you can comfortably raise for value, if he has small pockets, he can also have picked up draws, which he will probably pay for, obviously overs/sets are calling/shipping in on flop. You just got unlucky.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

C-bet bigger to begin with, $0.35 looks better.

As played just repop the flop to $1.75 and call a shove, 18/8/1.3 players aren't raising there with a hand they intend to lay down, so we want to stack their random TT/33 hands before the board turns ugly with straightcards/overcards.

Hope it helps.