[NL2-NL10] Dangerous set

• Artsboy
      Artsboy
      Bronze
      In this hand I thought I had the best hand until the turn. Then the possible flush and straight are completed, so I decide to check-call until the end, trying to control the pot. Did I do right?

$0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
      8 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG frederick8330 ($3.01)
      UTG+1 vishi45 ($3.83)
      MP1 bonebigga ($0.99)
      MP2 sharp817 ($2.06)
      CO angaarchand ($0.30)
      BTN Hero ($2)
      SB nicoleta1985 ($2.65)
      BB Rodpiee ($1.43)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 8 players) Hero is BTN 6:diamond: 6:heart:
      2 folds, bonebigga calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, bonebigga calls $0.08

Flop: 5:diamond: 6:spade: 8:spade: ($0.23, 2 players)
      bonebigga checks, Hero bets $0.16, bonebigga calls $0.16

Turn: 4:spade: ($0.55, 2 players)
      bonebigga checks, Hero checks

River: J:heart: ($0.55, 2 players)
      bonebigga bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Check/calling when you think you're beat is a very bad idea, most of the time it's inferior to going all-in yourself in that villain gets to choose what he'll bet into you, so here he can check back two pair hands and shove flushes/straights in your face.

Calling the river only make sense if you can somehow put him on a bluff or a worse hand that he's valuebetting at that point. Since everything got there it's hard for him to be bluffing, and the board is so scary even for two pair hands that he's likely not betting those either. So you're bluff-catching against a nutted range against everybody but complete donks who just merge everything into a bet for no reason when they get to the river.

I'd also check back the turn and I'd fold that river when he pots it unless he's completely erratic.

Hope it helps.