Pot Equity

• PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      I was playing around with Equilator and I decided to put in a hand where I had TP/TK on the flop against two opponents.

This particular hand gave me 68% equity.

What I was wondering was, how important would it be to jam the pot on the flop in this situation?

Seems obvious I know, but if you bet, one opponent raises and the other opponent calls, they must both have something they like.

Is it important to get the money in the pot for value, even if you believe one of your opponents could already be in front?
  • 3 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      They can have something but this doesn't mean that you don't still have more equity than they have.
      As long as you have 33%+ everything you put into the pot is good for you.

Just remove a few unlikely hands for each of them and calculate again. THe raiser can raise weaker pairs, same pair with weaker kicker, a flush or straightdraw and a pure bluff. The coldcaller can call a low pair, a good flush or straight and if he is very bad even a gutshot etc. :)
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      So getting money in the pot when you have an edge is important.

Obviously you are still going to lose plenty of pots, even with an edge. So how many hands should you be looking at to start noticing the effects of an equity edge, taking variance into account?

I've just reached 10K hands on Titan, but I've seen it mentioned that you need 50-60K hands before you should start worrying too much about your profit.

By the way, my BB/100 hands is +2.65, is that good enough at the moment?

This post seems like it doesn't belong in the strategy section anymore, but the main point is the importance of pot equity in regards to long term profit.

Phew! :)
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      It#s hard to say when you will notice it. The lower your real winrate is the longer it can take until you really see it.

If you beat a limit with 0.5BB/100 then your variance will be much higher than if you beat it with 3BB/100.

For the start I think you can see if you are winning after 50k hands on the lower limits even less because your winrate should be natuarlly higher.

The best thing you can do is too simply (lol simply ^^) try to play every hand perfectly.
      Post hands in our sample board to control yourself and move up the limits when you have the bankroll for it.
      One of our high rollers (Ulek 10/20$+) is breakeven over 100k hands on a specific limit but up at a higher one and he would have stayed on the break even limits nearly forever if he wouldn#t have moved up because he had the bankroll for it.
      But you have to be able to go down a limit if you lose to much else you need even more time later on.

2.65BB/100 is a great value. Everything higher than 1BB is good. 2BB is very good and everything above it is perfect or an upswing. :D