This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Blinds Re-steal from SB with 88 ... BU calls

• tomahawkpt
      tomahawkpt
      Bronze
      There´s a limp from early position, and a small raise from the button (only 3bb raise), which I read as a blind steal.

Myself holding pocket 88, try a re-steal from the BU with All-in. The limper folds, but surprise, surprise, the button calls.

Was I right, or was I wrong?

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $5.90
      CO:
      $4.42
      BU:
      $4.00
      SB (Hero):
      $1.99
      BB:
      $5.44
      UTG2:
      $3.90
      MP1:
      $6.45
      MP2:
      $5.46

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      UTG2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, BU raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.99, 2 folds, BU calls $1.69.

Flop: ($4.18) 9, 4, 4 (2 players)

Turn: ($4.18) 9 (2 players)

River: ($4.18) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.18.
  • 5 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello tomahawkpt,

According to the SHC only a resteal with 99+,AJ is permitabble because of the hand strength of your hand.
      Since Button is not stealing his frequence is therefore most of the times reduced so you are playing against a generally strong range

Therefore I would just fold 88 in this case

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • tomahawkpt
      tomahawkpt
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv,

Thank you for giving a look at my hand.

I have to disagree with you regarding the re-steal though (or maybe I'm misinterpretating the re-steal part).

According to the SSS SHC I'm using (the english version) this is what's there regarding re-steals:

Re-Steals
      Re-steal with 88+ / AJ+
      If an opponent re-steals, go all-in with 99+ / AJ+

How much should you raise?
      When you or an opponent re-steals Go all-In

As I see it, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, the raise from the BU can considered a steal, right?
      Therefore I can re-steal with 88+, and go all-in ... and that's what I tried.

If the villain was re-stealling the blinds (stealling from another player) then I would re-steal with 99+

Is my interpretation of the SHC right?

Below is the result from the hand:

Final Pot: $4.18.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, nines and eights(8 8).
      MP1 shows two pairs, aces and nines(A A).

MP1 wins with two pairs, aces and nines(A A).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Villain on the Button is simply NOT stealing the blinds and thus you. He is isolating a limper to play him in position. Therefore your resteal range should be tighter.

Once again without significant reads/statistics I would simply fold 88. The chart states that an OPENraise from the BTN will result in you restealing 88+,AJ+ I just checked again

- Gerv
    • tomahawkpt
      tomahawkpt
      Bronze
      Ok, now I understand what I did wrong - a raise in late pos/blinds with a previous limper is not considered a blind steal.

Thanks for your read on the hand.

Cheers.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Your welcome and have fun on the tables :) !