[NL2-NL10] set vs nut straight on the flop

• Gugi19
      Gugi19
      Bronze
      Did I play this hand badly? Is my pre flop call bad considering BU stack? Is my push on the flop -EV?
      I called pre flop because this player have rasied every time on BU and he was very agressive (maybe I should 3-bet there). On the fop I just couldn't give him credit because of previous history.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $4.78
      SB (Hero):
      $9.25
      BB:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $11.05
      MP3:
      $11.22
      CO:
      $3.40

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4, 4.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 3, 4, A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.40, Hero raises to $1.20, BU raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $8.95, BU calls $2.48.

Turn: ($14.13) K (2 players)

River: ($14.13) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $14.13.

Results follow:

BU shows a straight, five high(5 2).
      Hero shows three of a kind, fours(4 4).

BU wins with a straight, five high(5 2).

).
  • 3 replies
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      nh, wp. If villain is opening that loose all the time, you can't really call just for set odds. On NL10 you propably can consider moving someone off a better hand so preflop call is fine.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      If he is a maniac postflop a call pre is excellent as you can bluff-induce like you might have here and he can broke with a wide range versus you.

If he plays somewhat solid postflop I find an easy 3bet preflop. You are playing OOP post and you have soooooo much fold-equity pre against his range with a 3bet and cbet on many flops if he calls. You also start building image for you when you actually get a good hand in the blinds.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't think you really should be trying to bluff-catch on multiple streets out of position with the 3rd worse pair, it's just too easy for people to own you as they'll have 6+ outs even if you're ahead on the flop and overcards will make it increasingly difficult for you to call down.

If you know he's opening this wide and you still call, you'll need to check/raise with nearly no equity in order to make it profitable overall. 3-betting is a fine option, it still doesn't price yourself into calling a jam.

Hope it helps.