[NL2-NL10] NL5 flush

• Vilkaslt
      Vilkaslt
      Bronze
      I was bluffing, thinking he had nothing. On turn i knew he had me beat and I would've folded if not for the flush draw. Did I play this hand bad, or very bad?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $5.25
      MP3 (Hero):
      $8.72
      CO:
      $6.42
      BU:
      $5.00
      SB:
      $5.12

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7, 6.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO raises to $0.45, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.97) Q, T, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00.

Turn: ($2.97) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, CO raises to $2.10, Hero calls $1.10.

River: ($7.17) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.17(All-In), CO calls $2.87.

Final Pot: $15.21.
      Results follow:

CO shows three of a kind, aces(A A).
      Hero shows a flush, ace high(7 6).

Hero wins with a flush, ace high(7 6).
  • 4 replies
    • Pnnkaznk
      Pnnkaznk
      Bronze
      fold preflop
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      I'd fold preflop too.

As played I like the donkey bet i think but would probably make it 2/3 pot. Alternatively you could check raise but that's more expensive (and would've lost alot of money) - point being any chance of winning this pot at this stage you'll have to bluff at it. And it's unwise to invest .45 pre just to give up to a standard cbet post flop. It's a bad board to float because of the lack of draws.

As played i'd bet the turn slightly higher than you did, probably 2.00 because it's a nice round number. But then he has an obvious all in reraise, so maybe your smaller raise is good. Calling his reraise is a must based on pot odds.

As played all in on the river is a must. Nice hand.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Preflop;
      I don't mind preflop if you know how to play 3bet pots. You are deep enough to play this hand if you have enough experience, unfortunately enough for most people playing this limit they do not have the knowledge to do this so I would advice a fold.

Flop
      You bluffed just "thinking" he had nothing, why did you do that? You just fell into a typical newbie trap.
      What you should do, is base your plays on reason and logic, don't just blindly think he's bluffing and spew your chips off. It takes literally two seconds to realise that unless you know he 3bets light preflop he is going to have a standard 3bet range of JJ+ AK and has just seen a flop that you are never going to make him fold ANYTHING.
      Check/Fold it IMO.

Turn
      Now on turn you blockbet with your flushdraw 1/3rd pot. This isn't too bad as he can just call with various strong hands allowing you to draw him out on river more cheaply, if you C/C you might not get the right odds to call.

Now you've bet, he minraises and you call with your 14:1 Implieds or whatever it is. Call seems fine here, if you hit your getting money in on the river.

River
      Obviously Shove is fine as you hit the nuts.

Feel free to correct me on anything Hand Judges :)
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Preflop;
      I don't mind preflop if you know how to play 3bet pots. You are deep enough to play this hand if you have enough experience, unfortunately enough for most people playing this limit they do not have the knowledge to do this so I would advice a fold.

Flop
      You bluffed just "thinking" he had nothing, why did you do that? You just fell into a typical newbie trap.
      What you should do, is base your plays on reason and logic, don't just blindly think he's bluffing and spew your chips off. It takes literally two seconds to realise that unless you know he 3bets light preflop he is going to have a standard 3bet range of JJ+ AK and has just seen a flop that you are never going to make him fold ANYTHING.
      Check/Fold it IMO.

Turn
      Now on turn you blockbet with your flushdraw 1/3rd pot. This isn't too bad as he can just call with various strong hands allowing you to draw him out on river more cheaply, if you C/C you might not get the right odds to call.

Now you've bet, he minraises and you call with your 14:1 Implieds or whatever it is. Call seems fine here, if you hit your getting money in on the river.

River
      Obviously Shove is fine as you hit the nuts.

Feel free to correct me on anything Hand Judges :)
      Sounds good to me, especially the preflop part. Getting involved out of position with a speculative hand in a 3-bet pot against for what is very likely a nutted range just leads to too much spew to be profitable at microstakes.

Turn lead is a bit dicey since if your opponent makes a normal raise, which most people will do with the majority of the initial AK/JJ+ range on that turn card, you'll just lose one more dollar and get blown off your draw right after. I'd probably just check and hope he somehow gives me good odds to fold, tho I have no problem just shutting down the spew machine at that point and check/folding to a decent bet, considering the donking line is likely to end badly for us.

Hope it helps.