APL Regional Poker Tournament Hand Evaluation

• boranbasar
      boranbasar
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I've been playing poker for 1 and a half years almost. Most of the time, we are playing live poker at APL events.(Australian Poker League) They are all MTT's. Some of them are freerolls, and some of them have 11$ buy-in/1 rebuy/1 addon.

To be honest I always had good luck with Poker and I was always playing with gut feeling, like when I'm holding the Top pair, I was taking a look at the board and evaluating the possible hands(not really :) ), and I was making plays relying on my senses, which leads to wins and looses. I often got lucky and catch the player bluffing, sometimes I got donkeyed out by a full house by two low cards, when I had the nut flush etc. But they were all luck, nothing related to a good play.

So I started reading on Pokerstrategy for last couple of months, and I recently realized a massive improvement in my game play. Just the starting charts, the early phase, middle phase and late phase tournament play strategies. My rank in the region gradually increased from first 30 to first 10. I got more confidence at some point, which lead me to play more relentless but I took my lesson and not going back there again.

So far I've been playing 4-5 tournaments (40-50 players) every week. 2 11$ ones and others are freerolls. Besides that I'm playing some online sit-n-go's but not as I can claim professionally.

After all this story of mine, here is what I actually wanted to ask for. Last night I was playing at one of the 11$ tournaments and I made it to final table, and I was in the bubble, so I was winning money anyway. (First 5 gets paid, 5th place gets ~65$, 4th gets ~90$, 3th gets ~120$, 2nd gets ~190$, 1st gets ~300$ and a ticket to a NSW Pro Open, which also worths 110$)

So on the final table I had couple of blind-steals and called an pre-flop all-in with JTo when I was big-blind and the all-in of the other player was just 1.5 times big blind. So it only cost me half more of the big blind. I had more than 20BB in my stack. Other player had K7o which ended up getting a straight against my two pair. But it was a pre-flop action so no betting happened there. I wonder if I made the right call with calling that all-in with half of big blind more.

Second one was my last hand on the final table. I had KK when I was the dealer. I only had 75k in my stack, which was almost 4BB(10/20k) I had a decent sized stack compared all over the table. Average of all other 4 players were 50k and I had 75k. No one got into the hand, and I looked at small and big-blinds stacks(Small blind 40k + 10k small blind, Big Blind 80k+ 20k big blind)

At first I thought I should just call and see what they are doing, and if the board doesn't have an Ace, I should push all-in to grab the board. But that contains a risk of them hitting a flush/straight/two-pair/three of a kind on the flop. And it was a really conservative idea for the late stages of the tournament. So raising should have been a good idea. But when I raise I need to put at least 40k which was more then half of my stack. So I didn't think about it any further, I pushed all my stack from the button(75k) to the middle. Small blind folded and gave away 10k, and after a small hesitance big blind called me with 10 and 5 of clubs. I flicked over my KK and she smiled at me, "I just like clubs" So as expected she flopped two more clubs and turned into a flush on the turn with no pairs at all.

After the game I was a little bit frustrated but still finished in the money, so I didn't think about it that much. But when I came back, I read an article here in the Psychology section, which explains that I have to analyze every single hand I played, so I can improve my play with it. I started analyzing what I did, and what she did before. One more thing I realized was, couple of hands before my all-in move, she called someone else pre-flop, with J6 suited. (Other guy had AJ diamonds) She was all-in when she called, and guess the suit, clubs :) She got lucky and rivered a flush of clubs.

This was some sort of a clue for me that she calls with 'nothing' at all, and gambles her chips. Which makes her most dangerous opponent on the table. (I wonder how she made it to final table with that play)

So my questions;
      1) I didn't get involved in pretty much any hand on the table other than blinds, which I folded them after someone pushed all-in. Because I didn't hit anything, not even a draw.(And I wouldn't call someone's all-in on draw at a final table) Considering this play, was it a good move to push all-in to make it look like as a blind steal, expecting a call with KK?

2) If it was you how would you play KK? Would you ever think about folding them pre-flop? Would you just limp in, and see what happens on the flop? (If you limp in, you end up with 50k stack and a 50k pot, with 20k big blind/min. bet) If you saw two clubs on the flop, not connected, and everything lower than 10, with a check from big-blind, what would you have done?

Basically, how would you play this KK and get some favor out of this hand ? Or am I right to call this a bad beat, or is there some bad play involved in it? (On my half)
  • 1 reply
    • skelm
      skelm
      Bronze
      So on the final table I had couple of blind-steals and called an pre-flop all-in with JTo when I was big-blind and the all-in of the other player was just 1.5 times big blind. So it only cost me half more of the big blind. I had more than 20BB in my stack. Other player had K7o which ended up getting a straight against my two pair. But it was a pre-flop action so no betting happened there. I wonder if I made the right call with calling that all-in with half of big blind more.

Completely standard.

Second one was my last hand on the final table. I had KK when I was the dealer. I only had 75k in my stack, which was almost 4BB(10/20k) I had a decent sized stack compared all over the table. Average of all other 4 players were 50k and I had 75k. No one got into the hand, and I looked at small and big-blinds stacks(Small blind 40k + 10k small blind, Big Blind 80k+ 20k big blind).

At first I thought I should just call and see what they are doing, and if the board doesn't have an Ace, I should push all-in to grab the board. But that contains a risk of them hitting a flush/straight/two-pair/three of a kind on the flop. And it was a really conservative idea for the late stages of the tournament. So raising should have been a good idea. But when I raise I need to put at least 40k which was more then half of my stack. So I didn't think about it any further, I pushed all my stack from the button(75k) to the middle. Small blind folded and gave away 10k, and after a small hesitance big blind called me with 10 and 5 of clubs. I flicked over my KK and she smiled at me, "I just like clubs" So as expected she flopped two more clubs and turned into a flush on the turn with no pairs at all.

Worth noting real quick that you have 4bb (Not 4BB as BB indicates Big bet - essentially 2* the big blind) and with this in mind shoving is perfectly fine. Your thought process here is a bit off though (the bolded section). You have a value hand and your reasoning is basically taking a hand you should play for value (ideally by shoving preflop as stacks are such that she's binded to call with a relatively wide range) and thinking about how to play it for fold equity (calling and shoving when checked to on Axx flop). Your first instinct (to shove) is the best one given that you maximise your value on a street where she's in a position to call a wide range (and if she folds you pick up 25% of your stack in blinds/antes anyway).