This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

SNG Double Ups

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      I used to think that double-ups were I waste of money - with 20% fee on a $1 buy in I would have to finish ITM 3 out of 5 to even break even.

So I have never really bothered with them....

Then I had such a crappy downswing on my usual 30 player SNG that I thought why not give them a go.

That was 24 of them ago and I have been ITM 17 times with an ROI of 18%

There seems to be a mix of maniacs who go out in the first few hands or those who play so tight that you can steal with almost anything.

I appreciate this is such a small sample but what are other people's experiences?
  • 3 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      if $1 DU sng's have .20c rake they should be almost unbeatable
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      that is exactly what I thought!!!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Many of the Double-or-Nothing tournaments have a much lower rake, they feature terrible play, they are suited for multitabling, and they are over quickly because you stop when half of the players are eliminated.

On a $5+0.20 DoN, you need to cash 52% of the time to break even.

For a fixed ROI, you will see smaller downswings because you are gaining or losing about 1 buy-in each tournament. A player with a 5% ROI in both DoNs and regular SNGs need over twice the bankroll to play regular SNGs with the same level of safety. However, some people have a higher ROI in regular tournaments than DoNs.

One problem is that DoNs don't run at high stakes, and the medium stakes games have been wracked with collusion scandals, including a massive collusion ring which severely dented the profits of almost all regs at the $100 level on PokerStars for months. Another problem is that if you specialize in DoN tournaments, this doesn't prepare you to play any other form of poker. If you play 9-max 50-30-20 tournaments, and work on all aspects of the game, then you can move on to MTTs, 6-max SNGs, HU SNGs, DoNs, cash games, etc.