SNG Double Ups

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      I used to think that double-ups were I waste of money - with 20% fee on a $1 buy in I would have to finish ITM 3 out of 5 to even break even.

So I have never really bothered with them....

Then I had such a crappy downswing on my usual 30 player SNG that I thought why not give them a go.

That was 24 of them ago and I have been ITM 17 times with an ROI of 18%

There seems to be a mix of maniacs who go out in the first few hands or those who play so tight that you can steal with almost anything.

I appreciate this is such a small sample but what are other people's experiences?
  • 3 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      if $1 DU sng's have .20c rake they should be almost unbeatable
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      that is exactly what I thought!!!
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Many of the Double-or-Nothing tournaments have a much lower rake, they feature terrible play, they are suited for multitabling, and they are over quickly because you stop when half of the players are eliminated.

On a $5+0.20 DoN, you need to cash 52% of the time to break even.

For a fixed ROI, you will see smaller downswings because you are gaining or losing about 1 buy-in each tournament. A player with a 5% ROI in both DoNs and regular SNGs need over twice the bankroll to play regular SNGs with the same level of safety. However, some people have a higher ROI in regular tournaments than DoNs.

One problem is that DoNs don't run at high stakes, and the medium stakes games have been wracked with collusion scandals, including a massive collusion ring which severely dented the profits of almost all regs at the $100 level on PokerStars for months. Another problem is that if you specialize in DoN tournaments, this doesn't prepare you to play any other form of poker. If you play 9-max 50-30-20 tournaments, and work on all aspects of the game, then you can move on to MTTs, 6-max SNGs, HU SNGs, DoNs, cash games, etc.