• qotsa7887
      hi all, i have a little question about the following situation:

you're playing SSS and with a playable hand (but no pocketpair), raise pre flop.
      one player (after you) calls you, so that you are out of position.

The flop is dealt, doesnt look particulary dangerous and you miss it.

what is the standard procedure here?

the obvious thing to do is, i think, place a conti bet here to drive the opponent out
      but if u decided to check, in many cases the opponent will raise himself to drive you out. would a bluff consisting of a check raise be good here, as there is a good chance the opponent is bluffing himself?
  • 3 replies
    • degnic
      simply put: no, you don't have big enough stack to drive him out of the hand with check/raise on flop if you play with shortstack. Most of the time if you check/raise all-in he'll call with anything as it's only a small portion extra to the overall pot.
    • Kaitz20
      degnic is right no-one would fold, because the pot odds are way to good and he would call you with any two. (maybe on KTT he could lay down 98o:D ) But that doesn´t mean that you can´t do that for value^^
      Example: on NL 25, your stack 5$. You have AK and you raise from MP1 1$, MP3 calls and others will fold. Flop comes 44J. You know that your opponent is aggressive and he could raise with nothing then check/all-in if he bets 1,5$ into that pot. You need to have courage to do that and also you have to know what kind of hands MP3 could call. And it is not always good to give opponent free card. T or 9, isn´t so nice cards and he might catch one of his 6-outers.
      Contibets are that way better because no-one would re-raise mostly with nothing, because they know that you are going all-in and they are probably way behind.
    • Puschkin81
      Hi qotsa!

I agree with degnic and Kaitz20. This is a very risky move. There are some occasions where this play might be profitable - like in the example Kaitz20 described. But in general I recommend to make a normal continuation bet.

Good luck at the tables!