Suited connectors, bb/100?

• alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      So does anyone actually make money on suited connectors in the long run? Or is the only real point of playing them to balance your game and be less readable? I'm talking about suited connnectors KQs to 54s.

Now that I have 50K+ hands I've been closely examining a lot of info. For example on suited connectors KQs to 54s I have -34bb/100 (-23bb/100 if I exclude 54s). Is this OK, or am I looking at a big leak here?

I guess even this sample isn't big enough though. For example I have a lot of incongruent stats, for example a big loss with KQs, QJs is a big winner, J10s is a loser, 109s is a winner, etc. I guess even with 50K hands, only one or two good or bad hands can make a given hand a big winner or big loser. I suppose more like 500K hand are probably needed to make a real conclusive examination.

For starters I'll probably eliminate 54s from my range, although as said before, might just be one or two unlucky hands screwing up the stats there.

Something weird is that almost 3/4 of the total loss from all suited connectors comes in a barely 50 hand stretch, from my 1100 to 1150th hands, from a total of 2200 suited connectors, like 7 lost stacks in that period!! So bad luck might be screwing up the stats a bit. Or I might have been on tilt? I very rarely play suited connectors all in, much less that many times in so few hands.
  • 7 replies
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      For me it's pretty much the same tendency
      I use a 150k sample and it still varies a lot from hand to hand
      It's hard for me to calculate if im winning on them or not because a hand like 54s is like -50bb/100 while 89s is +40bb/100 etc etc
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      suitedconnectors+1gap suited connectors :s_grin:

small sample size obviously but its all i got

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b454/dylboi1/suited-1.jpg?t=1278159493
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dylboi011
      suitedconnectors+1gap suited connectors :s_grin:

small sample size obviously but its all i got

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b454/dylboi1/suited-1.jpg?t=1278159493
      Wow that's amazing. :f_eek: :f_o: Then I can easily conclude I don't play suited connectors correctly.

Where are you making most your money, from actually hitting something, or from making people fold their better hands? Do you regularly go all in with strong draws? I can't imagine any other way of making so many bb/100. Only by hitting a lot of hands when going all in, and getting people to fold regularly on medium/large pots.

You must really be playing them with skill to make so much.

I rarely play one gappers, only when there are 3+ players limping or calling before me. Should I be playing the more?
    • dylboi011
      dylboi011
      Bronze
      dont you play sng's though ?( that may make a big difference due to how deep the players are,
      ill have a look later on hem and try and work out from what position they are most profitable and in raised or limped pots and so on if you want. :)
    • Depor07
      Depor07
      Bronze
      I find that I get paid off big time when they hit. With big cards its obvious what you have. When suited connectors hit and you have two small pair your much more likely to get your opponents entire stack. Thats just my subjective experience I dont play them very often but will occasionally raise with them in late position, they rarely hit but when they do your generally winning a large pot. Ill also semi bluff with them showing more strength than I have but once someone enters the pot and Ive missed there going in the muck.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      I suggest that you filter to the suited connectors you want to study, and then look at your position report. That way you can see whether you are losing money because you post the blinds, or whether you could fold for free but are doing worse by playing them. You might also want to filter to the action in front of you. You might find that you are making money when you open-raise or raise after limpers, but not when you flat-call a raise.

In theory, you don't need to lose money with hands in order to balance your range. In practice, it can be valuable to turn up with some unprofitable hands occasionally against regulars for metagame reasons. Seeing that you have 54s one time may make a regular put you on an incorrect range for the next few thousand hands. However, this is usually not very important.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      I suggest that you filter to the suited connectors you want to study, and then look at your position report. That way you can see whether you are losing money because you post the blinds, or whether you could fold for free but are doing worse by playing them. You might also want to filter to the action in front of you. You might find that you are making money when you open-raise or raise after limpers, but not when you flat-call a raise.
      Great advice, I'll check this out now, hadn't thought of that aspect. Although I had thought of making a post asking if it was ok to cold call a lot with suited connectors.