SNGs easier than Cash games?

• 1raindog1
      1raindog1
      Bronze
      Howdie fellow poker players.

I have recently had a little bit of a downswing and decided to get a break by playing some micro 9-man SNGs. I have so far been enormously successful and when I sit at a table I feel like I always have a serious chance to be ITM or even win (so far won 4/5). I know I am talking from a less then mikroscopic number of games, but it is also a strong feeling I have.

Or, have I just found my calling and I just am better suited for SNG then CG?
  • 6 replies
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      who knows. its 5 games.

play a few more hundred games and see if u still like playing sngs. some people are better at sngs some at cash. both take a lot of hard work and practice. and both have a lot of ups and downs.

good luck with what ever you choose
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I would go ahead and say sng's are easier than cash games. Just by judging by the number of fish. I know cash players will jump in my head and say they can isolate the fish better and they can reload a lot of times, but that's my opinion.

For example if you search you can find NL4 tables with regulars ( even 2-3 of them in a SH table , as a mention i'm not saying they are good), but in SNG's until 5$ such a thing is almost unheard of.

Problem is (at least for me) when you are trying to make more money out of sng's. I am decently confident i can make 10$/hour, but when we are talking about 20$/hour there are less tables and they are filled with regs. At least for my experience.

All in all hard to tell. But in micro/low limits sng's are great.

lessthanthree, how about +20$/hour?

From what i figure 9tabling 25$ turbo 6 max should get you there. Another alternative would be 24 tabling 18 man 16$ turbo. What's your pick? ( i'm so lazy for not reading your blog :D )
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      you can get 20$/hr + mass tabling 12s-16s (16 tables+) with a ~10% ROI or mass tabling (12 tables+) the 24$+ with a 5-7% ROI.

bigger roi's than that at mid stakes are virtually unheard of over large samples, and the $/hr edge comes from being able to mass table while maintaining a respectable ROI.

I'm talking about single tables because thats what i know.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I play both, and SnGs are definitely easier. In cash games you usually have 100 big blinds and face more difficult decisions. In SnG you aren't really put to a decision that often, and when you are the basic strategy or ICM will help you out. I'd still recommend cash games (BSS) because they make you a better player and help you get a higher winrate.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      NL cash games require more patience imo. Something to think about when deciding what type to play. I've play lot's of limit cash and some NL sng's and tourneys, NL cash I don't think I have the required amount of patience to have a huge edge there.
    • 1raindog1
      1raindog1
      Bronze
      That's what I am thinking too. It's a matter of patience, which I do not appear to have in the amount required for cash games, at least not all the time .