[NL2-NL10] raise on the river

• cutegoldfish
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, Q.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.85) 9, K, 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($1.85) 8 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.10, MP2 calls $1.10, MP3 folds.

River: ($4.05) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, MP2 raises to $5.00, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $5.25.

what should i have done? i thought that no worse hand would call me on the flop and if i got raised, i might lose value on my queens. i decided to check to see the turn. since the turn was nothing, i bet for value. on the river, flush draws completed and any king or 9 beat me, i decided to do a block bet.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd start by checking the river. Since every Kx beats you as well as 9x and diamonds, it's pretty damn hard to get called by a worse hand. The only way you get value out of that street is if you catch somebody bluffing with busted spades or some broadway gutshot (less likely with us having two queens).

Since people are unlikely to play 9x that slowly and almost nobody at those stakes valuebets Kx on the river, meaning they're only valuebetting flushes, people are bluffing when they bet more than it would seem at first. I'll still check/fold relatively often especially to a big bet, but if I get a good vibe off villain's timing when he bets, I'll make the hero check/call.

Hope it helps.