[NL2-NL10] 2 questionable plays in Rush NL10 SH

• Gugi19
      Gugi19
      Bronze
      1. I don't like this play at all, but I didn't 3-bet because of UTG raise, and I was OOP, and then I folded on turn because I have thought that he has to have two pairs at lest. That bet just looked to strong for me.
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $8.31
      MP2:
      $11.27
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $15.92
      BU:
      $9.46
      SB (Hero):
      $13.76

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, CO calls $0.30, BU folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($1) A, 9, 3 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.60, CO calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.8) Q (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets $2.80, Hero folds, MP3 folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.8.

1. Was it ok to shove here because of his short stack and he only min 3-bet.
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $10.86
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $33.33
      MP2:
      $19.96
      MP3 (Hero):
      $10.13
      CO:
      $4.53

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, Q.
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, CO raises to $0.60, 3 folds, Hero raises to $10.13, CO calls $3.93(All-In).

Flop: ($14.81) Q, 5, 6 (2 players)

Turn: ($14.81) 3 (2 players)

River: ($14.81) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $14.81.
  • 2 replies
    • bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      my opinion ... dont knwo if it is good or bad:

i don;t like first hand ...
      u have to protect ur hand better preflop against drawing hands ...
      especially with that DEAD money in pot... already called.....
      u cant cold call preflop cause u dont have a drawing hand .. AKs would have been a slightly better call
      good thing is that u noticed that ur hand could be bad so u folded... but u never know .. maybe that guy was just hyper aggresive or he had a monster

the second hand
      in the basic articles of pokerstrategy How to Play Before the Flop it says:
      "YOUR OPPONENT ONLY MIN-RAISES
      You will find players who only min-raise fairly often in the lower limits. Whatever they may think they are doing, it certainly doesn't make much sense.
      If you have already entered the hand and on opponent raises after you by the smallest amount allowed, a so-called min-raise, you should always call, unless, of course, you have AA or KK, in which case you re-raise. "
      -your opp had only half a stack
      -he had u in position and it it more difficult to play position
      if he was short like 20bb ... i would almost always shove too ... otherwise if no reads on him i would call?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Squeeze it up preflop to around $1.1, you're out of position against two players with a drawing hand, so you need to push your equity preflop, as it will decrease a lot when you hit a bad flop and you have no real way to do anything but check/fold. We're risking like $1.1 to win ~$0.65 preflop, it's so profitable it's not even worse calculating. If MP3 goes all 4-betty on us frankly I don't mind folding without reads, we won't have put that much money in preflop and our play was profitable regardless of what happens when they don't fold, so it's not worth feeling committed and taking the splitting/dead/flipping gamble against a potential AK/QQ+ nit. If there is any chance he's full of shit just jam over and feel fine about it.

As played turn is dicey, without reads we can't really know. Given positions it's perfectly possible for him to have 99/33/AQ in that spot, so I don't really mind folding with MP3 still left to act unless I know for a fact CO can be bluffing there.

Generally it's fine yeah, as long as you don't call. You'll still run into a range that crushes you if he's a tight shortstack so you might want to stay out of it if you have that read, otherwise by default you can jam there, if he's ever min3bet/folding anything you're golden.

Hope it helps.