[NL2-NL10] Trips vs. a lot of aggression from bb

• alenstrat
      So did I play this right, or should I have put villain all in on the flop, turn or river?

With all the aggression villain was showing, checkraising me on the flop and betting strong every street, I thought he had a straight or better trips. So I decided to only call his bets. I didn't think it was likely he'd overplay two pair so much, against the possibility that I was holding trips or a straight. On the turn a second straight possibly completes augmenting my caution (910 and K10 are trash hands someone might calling with from the bb).

I guess the question is, since I was willing to go all in if he shoved, why didn't I take him allin in the first place.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8, 8.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) J, Q, 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.20.

Turn: ($1.22) A (2 players)
      BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80.

River: ($2.82) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $5.82.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, eights(8 8).
      BB shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Q J).

Hero wins with three of a kind, eights(8 8).
  • 4 replies
    • Gugi19
      I would bet more flop, you hit set so you want to extract value. Also, I would raise/shove on the flop. He only min raised you, so he is going for value, so that tells me this kind of player would slow play straight on rainbow flop and also better set is unlikely because I think he would re-raise JJ+ pre flop.
      This is just my humbly opinion, I could be wrong.
    • edi9999
      If a T or a 9 comes on the turn, your hand is a trash hand.

That's why i prefer to put your chips in on the flop.

Even if he flopped the straight, you have 35% equity what's not too bad.

Against: KT,AQ,QK,QJ,9T,QQ,JJ You have 67% equity
    • Sasa1234
      I agree with edi9999. You played this hand very bad, i would make it $1.2 at least after his min raise. Going broke is standard on this.
    • MaestroOfZerg

C-bet like $0.32 and 3bet/broke against unknown is the default way to go. It's hard for him to have JJ-QQ so it's hard for you to be in awful shape, and there is certainly value to be had on the flop against random unknowns who for all you know could be check/minraising top air or some sort of combo hand like JT that they'll never fold as long as they have "outs".

Hope it helps.