Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $11,72
      Hero:
      $5,05

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.84 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:diamond: , 8:club:
      4 folds, SB raises to $0,15, Hero raises to $0,45, SB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($0,90) T:club: , 4:club: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,45, SB raises to $2,25, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,80

Hi
      I would like to ask in general. What to do with pocket pairs on BB vs SB preflop raise. Is 3betting in these spots OK? And should I play low pairs and bottom pairs differently?

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • edi9999
      edi9999
      Bronze
      I think 3 betting IN POSITION is ok if your opponent folds enough to cbets, cause you will take the pot often so it's EV+.

In low limits, you normally have odds for setmining from any position against any position so calling is not bad either.

I think that you can play the same way the small and medium pockets
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Hand is ok. In general be more inclined to 3bet low and high pockets, and call mid pockets.
    • FaulV16ke
      FaulV16ke
      Bronze
      In general be more inclined to 3bet low and high pockets, and call mid pockets.

What is the reason for doing this?
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      High pocket pairs for value.

Low pocket pairs is just a question of whether set mining is more profitable than three betting. Generally in SB vs BB, SB will have a loose range and the value of hitting a set is diminished. The times that you don't hit a set, it's really hard to win the hand -- on the flop you have bottom pair with no showdown value, little chance of improving, and no semi-bluff potential. So 3bet can be better if the situation is right. Would call in this spot.

Mid pocket pairs have decent post flop playability. You don't need to improve to win at showdown, so calling and playing position is optimal most of the time.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      High pocket pairs for value.

Low pocket pairs is just a question of whether set mining is more profitable than three betting. Generally in SB vs BB, SB will have a loose range and the value of hitting a set is diminished. The times that you don't hit a set, it's really hard to win the hand -- on the flop you have bottom pair with no showdown value, little chance of improving, and no semi-bluff potential. So 3bet can be better if the situation is right. Would call in this spot.

Mid pocket pairs have decent post flop playability. You don't need to improve to win at showdown, so calling and playing position is optimal most of the time.
      This.

I generalize this to calling with pretty much all decent hands that stand to be ahead or have very good playability postflop, so that I don't get into a blurry spot where villain 4-bets me when I hold those hands and I have a decision, since people can and will 4-bet bluff in SB's shoes, increasingly so when you move up.

When you end up with hands that are not strong enough to do that, either fold or 3-bet them as a bluff, in which case it's easy to play a 4-bet, you're never unsure. It balances your 3-bets with monsters in the process so people can see you 3bet/fold and be more likely to go nuts the next time you end up 3-betting with a premium.

Hope it helps.