Is poker bad for you??

• Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      there was a programme on tv about how poker is bad for you

i only got to see the end of it but it was an hour long programme

towards the end they said that "poker does more damage to your brain than cocaine"

they had this online pro give an interview and he was saying how poker ruined him and now he has no life
      at the end they were asking for poker to be made illegal

so anyone know about this??
      i know that you have no life if u play 12 hours a day but if u have the right balance its ok but i dont want to play poker anymore if it will mess up my brain

any opinions?
  • 29 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Well, it made me into very impassive (correct word?) person. I don't care about anything that goes on around me, like let's say someone would call me now and say that my friend has died or smth and i'd be like "oh.. ok".

I couldn't say i have a great life too, but then again, i don't care so it's ok. :D
    • beefpuff
      beefpuff
      Bronze
      Here's what wikipedia say about cocaine.. I mean poker

(poker) intake causes brain cells to adapt functionally to strong imbalances of transmitter levels in order to compensate extremes. Thus, receptors disappear from the cell surface or reappear on it, resulting more or less in an "off" or "working mode" respectively, or they change their susceptibility for binding partners (ligands) – mechanisms called down-/upregulation. However, studies suggest (poker) abusers do not show normal age-related loss of striatal DAT sites, suggesting (poker) has neuroprotective properties for dopamine neurons. The experience of insatiable hunger, aches, insomnia/oversleeping, lethargy, and persistent runny nose are often described as very unpleasant. Depression with suicidal ideation may develop in very heavy users. Finally, a loss of vesicular monoamine transporters, neurofilament proteins, and other morphological changes appear to indicate a long term damage of dopamine neurons. All these effects contribute a rise in tolerance thus requiring a larger dosage to achieve the same effect.

In all seriousness, it has all to do with moderation and self-control. You can become addicted to pretty much anything, the trick is to keep a balance between everything...
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Originally posted by beefpuff
      In all seriousness, it has all to do with moderation and self-control. You can become addicted to pretty much anything, the trick is to keep a balance between everything...
      That's why I only do cocaine for 1 hour a day, then 3 hours of poker and 2 for a couple of acid flashbacks. Like you say, it's all about balance
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      balls!!
      my parents saw that program and now they are asking me to stop playing it ?(

and looooool :D they showed a video of hellmuth when at the world series he stood up and starting screaming at this guy something like "you crazy donk, to you this is just a game, to me this is my life"

and they said thats how poker players always act :rolleyes:

biased much?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      How exactly can you do cocaine for 1 hour a day? :rolleyes:
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Leito99
      balls!!
      my parents saw that program and now they are asking me to stop playing it ?(

and looooool :D they showed a video of hellmuth when at the world series he stood up and starting screaming at this guy something like "you crazy donk, to you this is just a game, to me this is my life"

and they said thats how poker players always act :rolleyes:

biased much?

LOOOOOL Helmuth as an example.. ROFLMAO.. that's such a cheap shot..
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I haven't bothered read them but these articles might help you;

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/popularize-poker/#basic

By the way, thanks partly to poker I have one of the best lives ever and I don't think that can be a bad thing.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      let them watch 2 month 2 million or something... or do what i did: start ur carreer off by luckboxing a few tournaments and they'll consider quitting their own jobs to start playing
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Ofc poker is a bad thing if you don't know how to handle and balance it.

I mean, there are many things one could get addicted to. I for one during my teeyears played endless hours of First-person shooter games and the like. I thought it was very social in a way since we played wars with our clans and almost always played with someone else.

And an endless amount of youngsters and people in general really still do this, but they don't have the advantage of making money out of it.

As soon as you learn how to deal with tilt, and how not to chase after losses and play 10 hours a day wihtout a plan etc I think it's alright.

The way I see it, to me it's just like a side-job. I make some extra money with it (nothing extraordinary quite yet though) and I learn to deal with myself in so many ways that I would probably never been able to if I didn't play poker. If you choose to, poker can reward you with so many things. It teaches you discipline, importance of longterm work, how to handle downswings (even rl swings), and sooo much more.

It's really up to yourself weather it's good or bad for you. You're given all the instruments to make it a good thing.

There is plenty of bad things to get into anyway, poker aint by far one of the worse and if it aint poker it's gonna be something different.

:) :f_love:
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      "Too much of anything can make you an addict" -xzibit (i honestly thought I would never quote xzibit on this forum lol :) )

Slansky's article on this topic starts with the sentence "Poker is a good teacher"... And for a list of some of the things poker teaches you:

Poker Develops Your Math Skills.

Poker Develops Your Logical Thinking.

Poker Develops Your Concentration.

Poker Develops Your Patience.

Poker Develops Your Discipline.

Poker Teaches You To Focus On The Long Term.

Poker Teaches You That Forgoing A Profit Equals Taking A Loss (And Vice Versa).

Poker Develops Your Realism.

Poker Teaches You To Adjust To Changing Situations.

Poker Teaches You To Adjust To Diverse People.

Poker Teaches You To Avoid Racial, Sexual And Other Prejudices.

Poker Teaches You How To Handle Losses.

Poker Teaches You To Depersonalize Conflict.

Poker Teaches You How To Plan.

Poker Teaches You How To Handle Deceptive People.

Poker Teaches You How To Choose The Best "Game."

Poker Teaches You The Benefits Of Acting Last.

Poker Teaches You To Focus On The Important Subjects.

Poker Teaches You How To Apply Probability Theory.

Poker Teaches You How To Conduct Risk-Reward Analyses.

Poker Teaches You To Put Things In Context And Evaluate All Variables.

Poker Teaches You How To "Get Into People's Heads."
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I've recently read a study, which claimed, that playing too much bridge makes people infertile, while another study claimed too much scrabble gives people unreasonably harsh diarrhea and abnormal affinity for tree-hugging. Games are ebil ?(
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yeah being addicted to something that can make you a ton of money is a bad thing for sure. Those are just jealous people bitching cuz they dont make more then 500$ a month :P
    • crowes
      crowes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Leito99
      there was a programme on tv about how poker is bad for you

any opinions?
      Damn, if that was on TV than I guess that must be true... =)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Truth is you can bend any survey or statistic anyway you want you want if you ask the right people and don't show the views that you don't want to see.

So depending on who makes the program, depends on the outcome.

EDIT* Afterthought:

I do agree though that people can become unhealthy addicted to poker as they can anything as mentioned previously in this thread. It's more to do with the person than than the activity itself.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Well, it made me into very impassive (correct word?) person. I don't care about anything that goes on around me, like let's say someone would call me now and say that my friend has died or smth and i'd be like "oh.. ok".

I couldn't say i have a great life too, but then again, i don't care so it's ok. :D
      sounds like a form of addiction to me.

Poker is like everything else in my opinion. You can have too much of it. then again I can eat too much chocolate, or drink too much beer. Our tolerance to each are different.

eg in a perfect world an Alcoholic would not drink any beer.

in a perfect world, a poker player will only gain from his poker playing and not lose out on any other part of his life.

for me, poker has stimulated my brain a bit. I like strategic thinking. this is what draws me to play chess, and supreme commander/RTS!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      sounds like a form of addiction to me.
      Fine with me as long as i'm in green. :D

Btw, what's with all the 88's out there, are you guys some nazis or just born in 1988? (no offense to anyone)
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      when u win money..nd win more nd win more...winning becomes a habit nd will be sumthin normal u do everyday...but yet to reach this level u have to fight urself( u are ur own worst enemy)..it may take u many years..or just monthes..but one day u will reach it and on tables u will express ur self....

poker is great for u !
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Poker is absolutely horrible for you, especially when you make 2-3 times more money than you're friends who are working full time, by playing middle stakes an average of 1hour/day.
    • NeilSimpson
      NeilSimpson
      Bronze
      poker is the same as anything...too much of it will be bad for you. if you play 12 hours a day you have a problem. playing for 4/5/6 hours a day as a way of making a living is fine, and probably quite enjoyable, provided you balance everything else in your e.g continue to get regular exercise, eat a balanced healthy diet and sleep properly. The beauty of poker is that if u feel ur playing too much, you're your own boss and u can lessen your playing time!!