This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

open ended straight flush draws

• thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      okay, so this is a hand that i played at The Vic the other day which has me doubting the way i play these hands.

My stack: £500ish
      Villain: £300ish

I raise UTG with 10,9 of spades (early position i know but i was being cold decked and i fancied a punt).

It folds round to the villain in the BB who calls. So we're head up.

Flop comes: 7 of spades, Jack of hearts, K of spades

Villain checks and i bet the pot (£25) with my up and down straight draw and a flush draw.

Villain min raises. I figure he has a hand so i just shove about 450 into this £60 pound pot. Villain calls and flips 7,7. The sod had a set which swiftly becomes a full house a turn card later.

So this guy does me for £300.

How do you think these big draws should be played?
      Did i do right by my hand?
  • 2 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      wrong forums but preflop is fine.

on the flop i would probably bet whatever i normally bet with my made hands on such a board. so on this board it's probably somewhere between 3/4 to potsize. once villain minraises you you should indeed reraise but shoving just looks like a draw. making a raise to 150-160 or so is better with your stacksizes and obviously calling a shove.
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      thanks for your input. I guess i was just destined to double the other guy up on this one.