SnG strategy help

• danjef
      danjef
      Bronze
      I've been following the basic strategy on this website, but lately im getting taken out when i have top cards for example QQ or AA, i raise 4 big blinds but im getting people calling with very poor cards, do you guys tend to raise bigger to scare them off in these small stakes SNG's? any help appricated thanks
  • 4 replies
    • SirPaulius
      SirPaulius
      Bronze
      you have to be happy
    • danjef
      danjef
      Bronze
      lol very happened SO many times over the past 2 days just unsure where im going wrong i raise like the strategy guide states but there just seems to be way to many REALLY loose players and unsure how to deal with it
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      If people are calling you with crap hands you should be happy. What you are experiencing at the moment is variance. Unfortunately there are these timespans where your good and premium hands loose against random crap. As long as you keep following the strategy and BRM you will win again soon enough..
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      You will have many opponents who take bad gambles. They hope they will hit the flop hard, and that you will pay them off.

How often will they hit the flop hard? If you don't count straightflush draws using one card, then a hand like T2o will outflop an overpair about 3.5% of the time. Some of those times will be with two pair, and an overpair beats two pair about 25% of the time.

If you are raising only with AA, then you will like almost all flops, and so you will pay them off when they do hit. However, if you raise with QQ, will you stack off on a flop of AT2? Probably not. If you raise with AK, will you stack off on a flop of 922? Again, probably not. So, you aren't even paying off all of the times they hit the flop with two pair or better.

If your opponents are investing a little, hitting often, and then you pay them off, then you have to revise your strategy. However, if your opponents are paying too much for a longshot, then it's ok to pay them off some of the time when they hit. You don't need to protect yourself against that bad strategy.

On the other hand, when you get several callers, you should be more cautious. You should not be making many continuation bets with air, and their calls/raises when you do bet show more strength. It's hard to get away from a strong overpair against one opponent in a raised pot with a stack depth of 50 bb, but there are many times you can fold one good pair in a multiway pot when 2 players show strength.